Interesting link - sort of sums it up

PMTS Forum

Interesting link - sort of sums it up

Postby John Mason » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:42 pm

http://www.skidoctors.com/ski_4movements.htm

early commit to uphill ski (LTE) - etc

I wonder how similar his (JC's) methods are to PMTS. Reads similar.

I'll be skiing in Aspen mid January and see he does private lessons. Might be fun. Anyone ski with him from around here? It's a link from realskiers.
John Mason

well - duh

Postby John Mason » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:50 pm

http://www.skidoctors.com/ski_instructi ... onials.htm

includes the paragraph:

As an accredited Primary Movements Teaching System (TM) instructor, Clendenin uses Primary Movements as the focus for learning and improvement. "I use Primary Movements on the simulator because it works, not only inside but later on- hill as well. On the simulator you know immediately whether you are in balance or not. One cannot manipulate, rotate, twist, steer or force a turn. It shows up immediately. And when it does, it is easy to remedy."

That's why it reads similar.

I like his approach of the "4 movements" as it makes clearer that PMTS is not just about carving but includes a wide range of skiing effects. At it's core PMTS is about early release to the LTE and letting the weight shift create the release to initiate turns. The amont of engagement controls whether the turn has pure carved or drift components to it.

Interesting rewording of the same stuff with descriptions showing PMTS's broad application.
John Mason

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:40 am

I'll be skiing in Aspen mid January and see he does private lessons. Might be fun. Anyone ski with him from around here? It's a link from realskiers.

John,
I've got ten days skiing with JC in his group camps and am going again in late January, next year. While not trying to sound like a cheerleader, I can't say enough about his level of teaching and professionalism. It's PMTS all the way with a couple of twists thrown in. If you are going to be in Aspen over a weekend, I would suggest you sign up for a camp.
Joe

Thanks Joe - That's the impression I got.

Postby John Mason » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:10 pm

Thanks - that's what it looked like, PMTS from a slightly different perspective. He has that huge indoor ski deck too for initial analysis.

I'll be there with the Lafayette (Indiana) Ski Club which I want to do the bulk of my sking with them so was thinking of seeing if I could sign up for a private. He lets you add a 2nd person for 100, so maybe I can get someone else to split it.

I've been to a lot of training so far, but I can always benefit from eyes other than my own. In this case, since the airfare, lodging, and lift tickets were at the group rates, I thought I'd see what PMTS oriented training might be available there.

So, now I'm even more excited about going.

Thanks for the helpful feedback!
John Mason

Postby Harald » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:48 am

John Clendenin has been a Black Level PMTS instructor for the past five years. He was first accredited in PMTS in 1999. Yes, I should think John's advice would be close or follow PMTS teaching, just as Lito's does. They are both logical and unencumbered by the dogma and eccentricities, illogical, encumbering, wasted movements of traditional teaching.
Harald

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System