Ski deck and PMTS

PMTS Forum

Ski deck and PMTS

Postby milesb » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:26 pm

Harald, I see that there is now a ski deck at your shop. Everytime I have seen these things at ski shows, the skiing looks just like this video. How well does PMTS work on them? Do you have any pictures or video of it?
Have you tried the carvers on it?

video: http://adventureski.com/video/ski56k.ram
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

hmmmm - ski deck

Postby John Mason » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:51 pm

you mean the thing with the rollers and moving carpet you ski on?

If that's the thing he had that when I was there last fall and I skied on it (somewhat) and HH skied on it with no hands.

PMTS worked fine on it. (HH's lots better than mine)
John Mason

Postby piggyslayer » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:07 pm

John,
Was you or Harald able to carve on this?
I never have seen one on these things up-close, but I would think that if you jam edges into carpet like this you will get stuck and move up with it?
Do the skis slide on this even if on the edge? Or you get to be exposing large surface area to lower the friction?
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby Harald » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:01 pm

As many of you know I have been travelling and working at Mt Hood much of the summer. I am on my way tomorrow to N.H. I have responses to many of your questions and comments, they will have to wait until August 31, when I get back. I have much new info about Cavers, Carver Camps and general skiing PMTS technique from this summer's coaching.

Have a great summer until then. I am visiting my son in NH and travelling to Canada for a High School reunion. Harrison has won a number of bike races this summer, so I'll be attending some of his races.
Harald

Don't use normal skis

Postby John Mason » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:14 pm

the skis you use on the moving carpet are special ones with teflon on the bottom.

do you carve?

you use pmts movement patterns - there is so little room, a little movement sends you quickly to the other side. (thanks saftey belt!)

great for coaching and feedback on the key foot movements and for checking boot alignment

I do have a bit of movie of HH on it (and me and my son on it). Perhaps I'll dig it up, expand my http://www.fototime.com account and post it.

Or perhaps I won't.

Anyway - you don't use rotary movements on the moving carpet but use the normal inside foot tipping motions, just very subtle inside foot tipping. A little goes a long way, especially when your on such a narrow "slope".

It'll be nice to have HH back catching up on a summer of posts. Congrats to Harrison on his success. Fun being a proud Papa!
John Mason

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System