Flat Light Conditions......tricky terrain

PMTS Forum

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:29 pm

I seem to get a fair bit of flat light or a combo of flat light and windy conditions whenever I go skiing......mostly caused by the weather being a bit fickle early in the season down here.
I tend to ski earlier in the season as that matches the time that my family are available to ski.

So what have I done to make the most of these conditions?

For starters.....I use a (Smith's) yellow lens google.... which seems to help.

I have also tried to pick runs which are tree-lined so that I can stick closer to the edge where the trees are...... as I'm told this helps....but this doesn't seem to work much for me.

I don't have much trouble on open slopes as I can just cruise over the unexpected awkward bits without too much difficulty....in fact, I think its overcoming the difficult bits which makes skiing challenging and therefore fun.

I'm looking for any tips on what ggogle and combo google/ colour of lens would be best for these flat light / windy conditions.

Also I'd appreciate any tips on what to look for in the terrain up ahead as I ski down the slope, especially steeps or small (relatively) bumps conditions.
In flat light conditions it seem to be hard to read the contours and given the steepness of some of the slopes that I ski, there isn't much time to react......haven't we all been there....

Is adopting a more defensive pole technique much of an advantage? I'm not in favour of this as it would seem that its being too cautious and would slow me down in sections where this might not be necessary.....

I appreciate that in poor conditions that its a good idea to go easy till you become familiar with the slope that you're skiing on but when I'm with my kids I don't have the luxury of doing this ......they ski as fast as they can and don't worry about the possible falls and spills.......kids are the same eveywhere!!.
However, I'm 50 and the main bread winner, so I can't afford an injury.....I've already done my knee's ACL a few years ago where I first came to skiing so I know how easy these things can happpen....in fact, I did the ACL in flat light conditons and at the very end of a full first days skiing......( ....live and learn.....motto ...at 50, don't push the ole bod just 'cause the mind foolishly thinks its still in a young bod.....).

This must be a common problem for lots of people who are only new to skiing .........sooooooo what can people suggest?

Bluey

Last one down's a dirty snowball !!

Postby -- SCSA » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:16 pm

Bluey,

Wake up. It's not about goggles or any of that other crap you're talking about.

It's about your skills. You gotta work on your skills. Your problem is that you have zero confidence. In order to get some confidence, you have to be practicing your balance and primary movements.

Are you working on that? Bluey. Are you working on your balance? What about primary movements? Working on that? If not, you're not going to get anywhere.

If you're going to be out there skiing, you have to take it seriously. So get with it. Practice your skills. Once you get your skills going, you'll get confidence, you'll be able to rip.

Flat light, blah bla blah. Once you learn how to balance on your edges and ski with your feet -- you can ski in the dark on one foot!

Be cool,
-- SCSA

Postby -- SCSA » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:20 pm

Bluey quit making excuses for being 50. Harald's 55, I'm 44, Rich is 90. Now Diana, she's like 19. Oh, she's hot. "Yeah. Really not."

Hey man, you should be getting better with age...grins:

I dunno, Bluey. Seems to me like you're not paying attention here.
Quit your whining and get your butt into shape.

And start practicing Primary movements.
-- SCSA

Postby -- SCSA » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:29 pm

Bluey,
I just read your post again and I'm even less impressed.

First of all, quit trying to impress us, telling us you're the bread winner -- we don't care. This forum is about skiing, not impressing people.

Second, if your body was in better shape, maybe you wouldn't worry about it as much -- "Waaaaaah, I'm gonna hurt my ACL..". Bluey. Call Harald and ask him about stretching. It's never too late, to take care of yourself.

Alright Bluey, here's your marching orders. The next report you make, I expect to read landmark improvements, or I'm going to have to give you a dork card. Got it?

1) I want you to post a sales receipt for "Expert 1."
2) I want a full explanation of tipping the ski to the little toe edge.
3) I want to hear about your new stretching routine.
4) ....I'm not sure, but I'll think of something.

wink:
grins:
-- SCSA

Flat light

Postby mjones » Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:35 am

Bluey,

While no expert skier, one thing that really helped me was a lesson where they taught us to ski with our eyes closed. Seemed a bit radical at first but actually it was amazing how your whole body became able to sense the terrain as it occurred.

The exercise doesn't need an instructor just someone to keep an eye out and make sure the slope is clear and re-direct you if you are about to make a terminal manoeuver! :-)

I think this exercise has saved me so many times in not only flat light but white out conditions, or even normal conditions where the eyes simply read the terrain incorrectly. Nowadays I'll as likely trust the feedback from my skis as my eyes. You just have to feel the mountain!

Have fun!
Cheers!
Mike
mjones

Flat light

Postby Bluey » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:30 pm

Thanks for your replies...

Mr M.......your suggestion to ski with my eyes closed sounds like it could be fun.... . I've never heard of this exercise before but I appreciate the concept and will give it a go next time I'm out.

SCSA.....I found PMTS has shown me the tools to get that edge which the traditional teaching systems didn't do. Simple fact.
As to your suggestion that I'm in danger of receiving the "dork" card.....well that's your call......if you feel compelled to make it......go ahead......make my day. By the way, if you do....please make it in yellow .....my favourite colour....anyway, enough said about this....back to skiing......

.........."life's a game of inches"....I first heard this concept whilst watching a baseball game.
I liked it.
I find it captures my philosophy on just about everything I do.......so when it comes to skiing I'm trying to investigate any potential concept/idea which will give me an extra edge....
I don't care how small a good idea is...if its good then I like to put in my arsenal of tricks.

I agree with you that ever skiier, even instructors, need to continuously work on their PMTS and balancing skills and also their fitness.
That's a given.
However, that doesn't answer my question about other potential skiing strategies in flat light conditions.

I suggested, in summary, in my initial post the following :

Yellow tinted lenses.
Compensating pole strategy....be prepared for a plant not a touch.
Familarisation with terrain.....before letting it rip.

Does anyone know of any other strategies that has worked for them which may give skiiers an edge? ( e.g.....hint.... you could expand on time of day......, volume of skiiers on a slope....., condition of snow...., etc).

BTW....If anyone does have any thoughts on this matter please just stick to the facts and leave the character assassination for someone who cares.

Bluey

Last one down the slope's a dirty snowball!!
Bluey

skiing in flat light

Postby mjones » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:25 am

Hi Bluey,

In a word when skiing in poor visibility (flat light being just one variant) it is all about balance. If you are in balance and have an athletic stance you should be able to react to what your lower limbs tell you. I think one of the reasons people have so much trouble in flat light is that they are not in balance and have a poor stance. If you have an athletic stance (not stood up, sat down, but poised for movement) then you will find you need your eyes less. Instead of just moving in the turn as your eyes tell you to prepare stay fluid, turning all the time.

OK, that's enough squawking from me - I should be skiing and not typing today!

Cheers!
Mike
mjones

Postby piggyslayer » Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:38 pm

Hi Bluey,

Could you tell us where are you finding "flat light".
Are you skiing very high elevations?
I am simply curious.

PS.
I do not understand why everyone reacting this way to your post.
If I have a joyce, I like to see where I am going as well.
What is wrong in getting some extra help from good goggles?
We all (I hope) use shaped skis to make the task easier!

piggyslayer
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby Bluey » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:57 am

Hi MJones & Piggyslayer,

Thanks for your responses.

I think Mike phrased it better than me when he used the phrase "poor visibility".
The flat light I'm refering to is the typical overcast sky conditions with the sun completely blocked out....a very dull day.
I often seem to come across very overcast days, together with sleet and gusting winds in the face.
It can get worse in the late afternoon.

Piggyslayer....to answer your question.....no, I don't ski at hight elevations.

I like to ski till the last lift closes so apart from trying to find the best low light googles for those overcast afternoons ......

I keep wondering what tricks there are for relatively new skiers who are trying to get that last run in during poor light situations.

So far, I like the ideas that have been suggested.......viz. practicing by skiing with my eyes closed.....kinda like thinking/feeling with your feet.
I think keepiing an athletic stance is always a good idea especially in the more challenging bits.
SCSA is also right about confidence as a tool for tackling poor sking conditions....in fact the first skill every skier needs to acquire is Confidence, .....then Balance..... then PMTS movements.

Bluey

Last one down's a dirty snowball
Bluey

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System