Harb Carving is a lot like Snowboarding

PMTS Forum

Harb Carving is a lot like Snowboarding

Postby suebrown » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:24 am

Ha! I bet that got your attention! :lol:

What do I mean by that? Well, I mean I felt like a total beginner on them. Kind of like the first (or maybe every) time I strapped my feet to a snowboard. It didn't take me long to get going fast enough to make myself nervous; same thing can happen to me on a snowboard. Carving was difficult to get the hang of.

Let's back up a little. Jay (SkierSynergy) let me try out some of his Harb Carvers (the middle level model) a couple nights ago. We went to a pretty steep, curvy road, but I stayed near the bottom of it where there was a long flat runout. Jay gave me a lesson, and he's a great teacher. I was making step turns in no time.

The next phase after step turns is carving (tipping the feet so that each skate has a row of wheels off the ground), and that's where I got stuck. Frankly, it just feels scary to tip like that at slow speeds on pavement (not that I wanted to try it at high speeds). I suppose that means I have some balance issues.

Eventually, though, I did manage to link shallow turns on my shallow little slope. If any wheels were off the ground, it was just barely. I'll need some more practice, for sure.

They do seem like great ski training, and I had a blast. I like the fact that they're not easy, and that you really have to commit to make a turn.

If I had to compare them to rollerblades, I'd say it's like asking "Should I get a mountain bike or a surf board?" They're really two different animals. You can go anywhere on rollerblades, but the Carvers, because they use ski boots, are too bulky and heavy to use for travel. It could be done, but if you just want an aerobic workout, rollerblades would be much more pleasant. But if you want to make turns down a hill and feel like you're skiing, the Carvers are it. And don't think it's not a workout, because you've got to get up the hill, too!

If you have small feet, rollerblades will give you much more fore/aft balance practice. The Carvers only come in one size, and are several inches longer than my boots, so they felt much more stable than blades.

Overall, I like them, and will probably be putting them on my xmas wish list this year. :)

Sue
suebrown

Postby *SCSA » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:40 am

Sue,

Way to go!

Questions:

1) You say "...you have to commit to the turn" which I can understand because that's text book PMTS. In PMTS, we learn to lean downhill, from day 1. Do you feel as though perhaps this is an indication that in your own skiing, you're not letting your body fall downhill. Or that perhaps you're not tipping enough, with your inside ski? In reading your post, you gave me some hints, of problems that I feel plague most skiers.

2) Do you feel that perhaps the carvers exposed some weaknesses in your skiing? Or that perhaps you need to adjust your ski training?

Be cool,
*SCSA

Postby suebrown » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:35 am

*SCSA wrote:Sue,

Way to go!

Questions:

1) You say "...you have to commit to the turn" which I can understand because that's text book PMTS. In PMTS, we learn to lean downhill, from day 1. Do you feel as though perhaps this is an indication that in your own skiing, you're not letting your body fall downhill. Or that perhaps you're not tipping enough, with your inside ski? In reading your post, you gave me some hints, of problems that I feel plague most skiers.

2) Do you feel that perhaps the carvers exposed some weaknesses in your skiing? Or that perhaps you need to adjust your ski training?

Be cool,

Hmmm, good questions. Absolutely no doubt about the fact that there are flaws in my skiing!

What I'm currently working on in my skiing is, in a word, counter. I keep my hips too square to the skis, so that it's difficult, if not impossible, to move down/across (i.e. diagonally) the hill at the transition. I just learned that this was a problem this summer (at a PSIA camp at Timberline), so I haven't had a lot of time to work on it. But when I remember to let my inside hip lead, then I can make the proper move and start carving much higher in the turn.

Now, with the Carvers, I was on a really shallow hill. Probably similar to the rope tow learning area where I ski. Tipping to my ski edges on a hill like that is no problem, and definitely not scary, but it was scary on the Carvers. I think a lot of it has to do with the pavement (instead of snow) and just that I don't trust the Carvers yet. I know what my skis will do, but I don't know the Carvers well enough yet to trust them.

My ski training is constantly adjusting. There are so many flaws in my skiing that I never lack something to work on. :) I definitely want to try out this notion of concentrating on the inside foot tipping, and letting the outside one naturally match it, though. I've heard of it before, but never really gave it much focus.

What I was doing on the Carvers was not very comparable to the way I ski, because of the slow speed and shallow hill, but I do think that there's a good chance they could point out flaws (and help me improve) once I start really making turns on them.
suebrown

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:35 am

excellent questions SCSA!

Postby *SCSA » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:01 am

Hi Sue,

It's difficult for me to offer piece meal advice, as I all know is PMTS. But yes. If you keep your shoulders square to your skis -- I've heard it called "look where you're going", this will cause problems. No way you'll get the edges to grip, for one thing. The tails will most often wash out.

The counter will solve the problem of your tails washing out and get your edges to grip. Also, don't forget to keep the inside foot pulled back, even with the outside tip.

In reading your posts, you seem real motivated to improve. If so, maybe now would be a good time to learn the PMTS system?? You're motivated, I'm sure it'll help you improve and get your skiing to where you would like it to be. Once you learn the system, you can teach it to your students. If you happen to be in CO this year, drop a line.

It seems to me the main thing you need is to make turns with your downhill foot. When doing so, your body naturally falls downhill.

Anyway, it won't be long now. Ski season is now less than 3 months away!

Be cool,
*SCSA

Do carvers point out flaws in your technique?

Postby SkierSynergy » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:47 pm

I do believe that the Harb Carvers are an invaluable tool for showing up deficiencies in technique. I also think that SCSA?s asked Sue a good question: ?whether her reaction that the Carvers were harder than she thought they would be is due to a technique/movement deficiency.? Now that more people are trying them out you will hear more initial reactions and probably a wider range of opinions.

Over the summer, I have been out with lots of people on the Harb Carvers who are at various levels (from never skied before to top level racers).

I have seen lots of people just hop on the carvers and do just what they do on skis perfectly and love them. They immediately have the reaction ?Wow, these carve just like a ski!? This last weekend, I took Noboru Matsumoto out on them

[Aside 8/16/04: Sorry for the earlier post saying it was Kiminobu. Language problems. When I tried to ask about his experience, everyone said that he had been at the Nagano Olympics with Japan. That would seem to narrow it to Kiminobu. My mistake. Noboru was an Olympic official for the skiing at Nagano. Noboru has been an active racer and organizer in Japan. He has run a ski club, a race team, and ski camps both in Japan and at Mt. Hood for years. I was out with his camp again yesterday and he bought several carvers.]

Both he and his daughter (a coach and national competitor in Japan) had this reaction. However, a few people at every level have had a similar reaction to Sue ? including the highest level racers. Obviously, for most of these top level skiers their initial reaction is not an issue of bad technique ? though for some it might be. So what?s up? Here are my observations on a few things that can affect first reactions to using Harb Carvers and maybe some advice about how to have a productive first few sessions.

1) The importance of terrain choice for learning.

It?s really important to establish a clear sense of speed control and confidence during the first few runs because I have seen some good people be too cocky and take good spills on their first run. An obvious solution is to use very flat terrain. However, too flat of terrain can also offer problems. Now, I prefer using terrain that is moderately sloped, but very, very wide. These are the reasons.

If an intermediate skier doing their first few runs on Carvers uses too flat of terrain, it puts everything in ?slow motion? and emphasizes the balance aspects more than they may be used to. So, they find it more difficult and not as immediately ?like skiing? as they expected. It can feel more like a moving wobble board exercise than the freedom of skiing that we all crave. Instead, I pick out a moderately sloped site and use classic fan and garland progressions to build speed control. If the site is wide enough, this works great. The crossover to skiing is obvious and it?s more fun too.

On the other end, putting some very good skiers on too gentle of terrain encourages them to do movements that are not at all like what they actually do on skis. A few weeks ago, I did a demo with a team of 12-15 year olds. So, we picked out very, very gentle terrain in a parking lot ? almost flat. One of the top NCAA slalom skiers happened to be there and tried out a set of Carvers. He kept complaining that they weren?t like skis at all because he felt he had to stand on his heels and rotate them a lot. Well, he was a really aggressive skier who wanted to see how they ?ranked? turns, but we were on almost flat terrain. So, with as many skates as he could to build up speed, he would try to crank out a bunch of turns. At best, the speed was enough for some long gentle turns and so instead he would put his weight on his heels and swing to get some quick ones in. You can make this work with some effort, but at any real speed on the carvers it would put you on the pavement. My main point is that this is obviously not at all how he really skied. Again, some moderately steep, but wide terrain would have been better. This more advanced skier could have done a few shallow turns up the hill and gradually moved to making the turns he had wanted without abandoning the movements that he obviously knows how to do on skis.

To some extent this issue is what Sue referred to when she said.

suebrown wrote:What I was doing on the Carvers was not very comparable to the way I ski, because of the slow speed and shallow hill, but I do think that there's a good chance they could point out flaws (and help me improve) once I start really making turns on them.

Sue jumped in on the chance to Carve during a session with other people and we made the best with the terrain that was there, but it was not my favorite choice for a first time. I have a much better place that I?ll take her to next time out.

2. The issue of equipment.

I have been out Carving with several people who have boots that make it really hard to do the movements necessary to efficiently use the Carvers. Obviously, this impacts their skiing too, but at that time . . . when they can?t make those carvers turn like they want, what enters their heads is that they can ski, but learning to use Carvers is hard.

There are two issues with boots a) having a rotory boot makes it harder to produce the necessary movements; b) having a fit that is too restrictive makes it harder to do the inversion that?s necessary, especially if you are just learning ? and it gets harder when you are also going very slow. Harald?s comments (below) about the necessity of starting the movements in the feet are relevant here. If you don?t have the articulation available in the ankle, then the tipping is done by pushing the knee, but with no ankle movement, that?s only possible with a large, simultaneous upper body shift leading the way ? the consequences on balance (especially when going very slow) are big. It makes it really hard. This may also show how much you can get away with on skis because they can skid.

[Comment for Sue: This may also be an issue for you. She has a brand new pair of Lange?s that were so tight they were hurting her feet a bit.]

3. Technique issues and models of skiing.

Feedback about experiences using the Carvers will also mirror larger debates and beliefs about models of skiing and teaching. Harald has pointed out the following:

Harald wrote:Some examples of movements that experts have which cause trouble on Harb Carvers are:
1. Big toe edge dominant at engagement
2. Big toe edge Step-off
3. Up an down movements
4. Turning by steering the skis to an edge

Harald wrote:As in skiing, during transition, your center of gravity (body) has to move across to the downhill side of the skis for a ?high C? turn. This has to be initiated by feet tipping actions. If this isn?t done on the carvers they will feel like they don?t want to turn.

My experience seeing other people learn to use Carvers has been the same. I would add that the reasons for those movements showing up vary from person to person. For some people these aspects are something to be eliminated. For others, these movements are a part of their ?model? of skiing. Which is true will affect how people experience their introduction to Carvers. So, as you hear feedback from various people who are trying Harb Carvers, also take into consideration the larger context of where they are coming from.

If a person sees Harald?s list as ineffective/inefficient ski movements, that person will feel that the Carvers are a constant, accurate coach that can?t be fooled. When you do things wrong it doesn?t work, when you do things right they feel so good.

Sometimes the ?model? of skiing that a person is using includes the nonproductive movements that Harald pointed out. Last weekend I watched a camp of racers working on tossing their arms above their heads and extending their legs at every transition. I have watched students doing exercises to radically commit their upper body into the turn first, rather than starting the action with the feet. The coaches in these camps have a ?model? of skiing that is very different from what is most effective on Carvers ? and probably most effective on skis. If a person is dead-set on the necessity of any of the movements in Harald?s list, then they will feel that the Carvers are either ?not like skis? or at best a limited tool for one or two exercises.

Often, with more time Carving, people expand their views and begin to see the connection to skiing. At this point, questions come out that examine the implicit model of skiing that a skier was working on and whether or not their model works well. Wide parking lots offer the perfect experimental environment to examine technique issues with the carvers. In fact, I think this is a really useful aspect of using them and I have seen several people who started with the idea of a wide stance as a must, slowly narrow their stance both on the cravers and in their skiing. Similarly I have been out with people who claimed it?s impossible to ski without leg steering, begin to change their beliefs after some fun time on the Carvers.

Ok, this post has gone far too long. Too summarize, if you find Carvers are more difficult than you thought, or they don?t feel like skiing, it may be because 1) your first few times out were not on the best terrain; 2) your equipment is holding you back; 3) your model of skiing needs to be examined; or 4) your technique needs work. Now that I think about it, the same list is true of skiing in general.
Last edited by SkierSynergy on Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
SkierSynergy.com -- comprehensive services for the girlfriends of skiers
SkierSynergy

Postby piggyslayer » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:04 am

Video Analysis and Carvers.

Jay and Harald have pointed out that Carvers will not feel good and will be hard to make turns on them if your technique relies on rotary movements, movements initiated with large leg or upper body muscles, etc.

I think that Video analysis and Carvers is a great combination and the next step. Harb Carvers work a bit like a magnifying glass. If you do something weird with your skis, the movement will likely generate a little skid and can go unnoticed on the snow. Carvers will not skid and the movement will be exposed as something (typically a bit different than you think) most likely visible.
Someone like Jay may have very trained eye to just look at skier on Carvers and know what is happening. Video in slow motion will expose a lot of what Jay?s eye can see to all of us.

Again, all the ?inefficiencies? in your movements may show up as something slightly different. You are looking at symptoms and not at the problem.
For example, failure to introduce the LTE early in the turn (if BTE goes first) may result in inside foot leading the turn (a bit scissored position). Failure to relax leg and hip when LTE tipping is likely to widen your stance, move you into A-frame and/or introduce a rotation (as opposed to counter). So some thinking is required to solve the puzzle of what the problems are, but I find a video analysis of skating to be the next step in pursuit of great turns.

SCSA: I you don?t get carvers this month you will be a month older when you do.
How come you resist the best tool to improve your skiing? :)

Suebrown: I am sure you are 3 times better skier than I am, but here is a question for you: Do you relax you leg muscles and hip when initiating the turn with LTE? If not, the tensed muscles may resist development of early counter. Just an idea, I am sure that 99% chance this is not the problem, but there is 1% chance that the most obvious may be the reason why you compared carvers to snowboard.
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby *SCSA » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:25 am

Hiya piggy,

I'm on it. I'm heading down to the home office the week of the 23rd to get me some. So I'll be carvin!

Wanna carve with me?
piggy and SCSA. Shakin n Bacon. :wink:
*SCSA

Postby piggyslayer » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:20 am

SCSA,
One day I will move my aft area out of NJ somewhere closer to CO.
For now, I saving vacation days for next year Montana camp.

Let me know if you planing to be in NJ vicinity and we will show Brooklyn brigde potholes who is the boss :twisted: :
Hey :!: you talkin to ME :?: :wink:
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby suebrown » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:24 pm

piggyslayer wrote:Suebrown: I am sure you are 3 times better skier than I am,
Ha! I seriously doubt that!

piggyslayer wrote: but here is a question for you: Do you relax you leg muscles and hip when initiating the turn with LTE? If not, the tensed muscles may resist development of early counter. Just an idea, I am sure that 99% chance this is not the problem, but there is 1% chance that the most obvious may be the reason why you compared carvers to snowboard.

I do relax my leg & hip muscles when initiating a turn, but remember, I'm not accustomed to initiating with my LTE.
suebrown

Postby piggyslayer » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:49 pm

Sue
The idea, I am sure you know it, is that if you relax leg muscles and hip and tip LTE. The knee and hip have no choice but to follow into the next turn (knee bends in one direction, or if it does not- there is a problem :roll: ).

When I look at people skiing, I pay attention to the position where the shin exits the boot. I can spot LTE tippers easily this way :)

By the way, skiing with your feet and controlling the movement at the bottom of skier's kinetic chain is one of the essential energy conserving landmarks of PMTS (not the only one, but arguably one in the more important category).
What HH has wrote in his book has imprinted an animated picture in my brain:

Your body behaves much like a steel link chain. ?.
Now, think of a chain that has links that get progressively larger, starting with small once at one end <feet> and ending with large once at the other. If you shake the small end, the motion doesn?t get very far up the chain before the energy is absorbed. Shake the large links, though, and the movement transfer to and disrupt the small links quickly and violently.

I am surprised that nobody has presented skiing with you feet (preferably free foot) at least as a point of view in the epic thread on the leaking energy topic.

The way I think about improving my skiing is that
? I want to develop correct mid and upper body movements as muscle memory
? I want to trigger upper body movements with actions of the feet (free foot) more as involuntary reaction.

So when I ski or use Harb Carvers, I think about feet only, and once every couple of turns monitor different aspects higher up (one aspect at a time) to see if my mid-upper body work as expected. (That is a bit different approach to not thinking about or monitoring your movements when skiing). Obviously there is a limit to this approach, my pole plant is not triggered by my foot.

Sorry for a bit lengthy post. It was triggered by reading the leaking epic.

If it makes you a lot happier I will agree that you are only 2.7 times better. You will have to work on LTE to get the 3.0 piggy rating :)
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby suebrown » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:27 pm

piggyslayer wrote:I am surprised that nobody has presented skiing with you feet (preferably free foot) at least as a point of view in the epic thread on the leaking energy topic.

Piggy, I think you have two concepts muddled in your mind. You seem to be equating "skiing with your feet" with "leading with the LTE." In fact, these are two different things. The idea that all movements should originitate in the feet is straight out of the PSIA (and PMTS) literature. But concentrating on tipping the new inside ski to its LTE and letting the other foot/leg follow doesn't necessarily follow from that. The former does not necessitate the latter.

I think (hope) you'd be hard pressed to find someone espousing the notion that movements should originate in the hips or shoulders today. (Although I did see some racer teaching just that on an old episode of Skiers World the other day.) But which foot gets the focus is a matter of religion. :)
suebrown

Postby piggyslayer » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:58 am

LTE tipping and relaxing minimizes the impact on kinetic chain.
It is the lesser impact version of skiing with you feet compared to BTE (or rolling both at once).
Ski with your feet (preferably free foot) and relax. This is what I wrote, is it not?

I am not arguing if PSIA teaches skiing with your feet or not, the fact is that many skiers don't do that and I was surprised that nobody pointed this as an energy saver.

Same thing about narrow foot stance. Many may not agree with this concept, but it is an energy saver.

But, then, the same happens to posts here, most get sidetracked by ski politics and venom injected by some PMTS hater and we end up discussing something else.

Thanks for trying to straighten me out :)
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby suebrown » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:30 am

I thought you were saying that LTE tipping and skiing with the feet are the same thing. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

About the epic thread ... personally I think most of that thread is a big energy leak (i.e. all the off-topic religious/political stuff about how to teach skiing). ;)

Do you post on Epic, Piggy? What's your name over there?
suebrown

Postby piggyslayer » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:06 pm

I did not post on epic. If I ever do, the name will be still piggyslayer.
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System