Should we use a bit longer poles with Carvers?

PMTS Forum

Should we use a bit longer poles with Carvers?

Postby piggyslayer » Mon May 31, 2004 11:32 am

Should the pole be extended by some 1 inch or so to accommodate for boot mounting on Carvers being lifted off the ground higher than on the skis?

Also I would appreciate some advice on ?pole savers?. I simply use a think protective sponge/foam square, I have duct-taped it to my poles.

Thanks
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby Harald » Mon May 31, 2004 12:01 pm

Yes, longer poles are helpful, we have been using old poles and just wearing out the tips on the pavement. Some one suggested using small super balls on the tips. All the rubber tips we have tried wear out quickly. Rubber hose taped on at the tip was another suggestion.
Harald

Postby Jeff Markham » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:22 pm

Here in Utah there is a local thrift store (kind of like Goodwill) where they usually have a lot of used ski poles for around $2-$5/pair. I purchased some rubber tips from Lowes and epoxied them on using J-B Weld.

Leki sells tips for poles: http://www.leki.com. Click on "Trek Accessories" on the left-hand side. My wife and I use ski poles when walking in order to increase the intensity and get a little upper body workout. The "Fitness Rubber Walking Tip" works great and only wore out after a year of use.
Jeff Markham

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System