Learning how to learn: developing GS technique with HH

PMTS Forum

Re: Learning how to learn: developing GS technique with HH

Postby kman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:39 am

with several of the current topics related to racing I thought this was a pertinent thread to bump and also for, hopefully, Harald to comment on Helluva's question regarding the timing of the release and any further insight into the GS turn dynamic
Tis the times plague when madmen lead the blind
kman

Postby h.harb » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:20 pm

Make sure you hold on to your counter until you can transition with flexed legs. Tip to the new edges with flexed legs. Going long leg to long leg, isn't fast or constant. It usually means you are behind the course and skidding. In his last WC win, Hirscher carved the best arcs, stayed flexed, plain and simple. Svindal used to do this when he was winning, but he is still not the same old Svindal. He looks uneasy on his skis. Last year, I called his return and he won the WC, but he's not the same yet this year.
h.harb

Postby WNYSkier » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:59 pm

h.harb wrote:Make sure you hold on to your counter until you can transition with flexed legs. Tip to the new edges with flexed legs.

From my experience, I can't overstate how important this is. IMHO I would make two additional points: 1. Be sure to CB with tipping to the new edges, even the smallest amount of CB at this point makes a huge contribution to effectiveness in the high C. 2. Start pulling that inside foot back as early as possible after transition and keep pulling it as you increase tipping and flexing of the free foot. To be clear: this is pulling the flexed free foot back under the hip, NOT rotating the hip, we're not on that other forum.....

Cheers,
Mark
M

Ski well. Ski fast. Have fun.
WNYSkier

Postby h.harb » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:14 pm

skiing is a sport
skiing well is a commitment

Skiing done by most, is recreation; ski racing is a sport, all-round great skiing, requires a commitment. Name one event in which you become an expert "in performance" that does not require commitment? Even video games! The only event in skiing that isn't expert and doesn't require commitment, is going straight downhill on poser skis.
h.harb

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System