Tipping practice off the hill

PMTS Forum

Re: Tipping practice off the hill

Postby SkierSynergy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:11 pm

In some ways "tipping board" is a misnomer. It's not really for learning how to tip as much as how to balance while tipping. A tipping board presents a challenge: can you tip upside down to the hill and stay in balance and control. I have a video on my website named: Getting upside down to the hill: Balance for carving the top of the turn." It shows a dryland exercise on a sloped driveway. So, yoiu don't have to build a tipping board, but it works there also. The video was in the registered user section of my site, but I just moved it to the public area because of the discussion in this thread. Check it out if you want.

http://skiersynergy.com/blog

There are a couple of other videos of dryland exercises in the registerd section. One is on flexing while maintaining forward pressure and another is on flexingf to release. Feel free to register and check those out also. I have several new topics that wil be published to the site soon.

Enjoy.
SkierSynergy.com -- comprehensive services for the girlfriends of skiers
SkierSynergy

Re: Tipping practice off the hill

Postby mike » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:01 pm

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

The board was put together that way as I did not have any other materials available at the time, I have modified the angle by placing a length of timber (about 1 1/2" thick) under the downhill side.

That has made things much easier, if I can get the photographer organised I will put up some more photos later on.

I found Jay's exercise to be very useful.

I'm a little surprised that there were no suggestions that we antipodeans should have no trouble getting upside down as this is our natural position.

A few years ago I was in Whistler and enrolled in Ski Esprit (pre my involvement with PMTS).

On the first ride up the chair the instructor told me that he had never met an Australian yet who knew the first thing about tipping, he gave me a hefty elbow in the ribs and said that the first and only rule you have to remember is "in Canada you always tip the instructor"!

Happy New Year to all the forum contributors.
mike

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System