RE: Using WC Technique to justify what ever they want

PMTS Forum

RE: Using WC Technique to justify what ever they want

Postby h.harb » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:15 pm

Hey Max501, I can see(after I have been totally out of the loop) the firestorm you caused over on Epic. I checked it out after you posted me a page. This guy Rick, I have no idea who he is, seems to have this thing about WC skiers intentionally redirecting or pivoting their skis to get them to turn for the next gate. He has little to back himself up beside a few quotes from a racer, his video of Rocca actually plays against his argument. What does it say when you post a video to try to prove your point and it shows exactly the opposite. That you don't know what you are talking about or that you can't interpret what you are looking at?

Then he tries to use your skiing as an example of what helps pivoting and uses a totally different skiing example from Grandi to show how not to pivot. What's the point??
Epic Writes:
Right, Max, retraction is needed in a sl race course because retraction is a more pivot friendly transition. So how is it I can retract, change edges and not change direct, if it's so pivot friendly? But if you're making arc to arc slalom turns, as Grandi is in the vidoe I provided, what YOU do in the videos I've seen of YOU consitutes excessive retraction. Excessive for and compared to what?
Is this guy trying to be confusing or is he just mixed up? Second part:
"It's the reason neither Grandi, nor any of the other folks in ALL those freeskiing videos, are doing it: they're doing arc to arc turns, and going for movement efficiency.

He is so out of context, you are doing short turns with tip pressure and speed control in most of the videos you post of your skiing. The Grandi video he posted is a cruiser run, with no tip pressure and no urgency to start a new arc. This has nothing to do with anything, it's just the way they chose to ski in those runs. They are using retraction, but less tipping and tip pressure, they are skiing more side cut, nothing wrong with it ,but it's not a short radius or even a slalom radius. But they are making clean arced carves.

On one hand the Epic dude writes: flexing and retraction in transition is pivoting friendly, and than writes that he never feels like he gets a redirection in transition in his own skiing; therefore he doesn't need or understand why you (Max501) control the pivoting; maybe he should learn to bend his legs to release, rather than trying to pivot his skis. Just the way he talks demonstrates he doesn't understand the forces in skiing. He substitutes clearly understood bad techniques or compensations, for his lack of correct technique or understanding or skiing, especially WC racing.

He should probably film himself, so he can see how far off base he is as a skier trying miserably relate to world cup skier movements.

Below is what I stated in my post on the subject, that is quoted by several, on Epic. I don't understand that this is so hard to understand. Unless someone has an agenda to promote steering and pivoting, disregarding much more important aspects of skiing.
HH said: Just the energy of the edge change with the legs moving from one side to the other so quickly, creates redirection, so no technique to create redirection is needed.

I could add that redirection is a matter of timing in the release. Timing a release is progressive flexing, bending and tipping. No different than any other PMTS technique for transition and a lot less complicated and useful to teach, coach and learn.

All this pivoting and redirecting talk is silly, as most skiers and racers have too many bad movements resulting from and associated with these descriptions, perpetuated on them by poorly educated coaches. The issue is that the larger percentage of racers are already creating pivoting and redirecting to their detriment. They are obviously not learning to ski with WC techniques. I know the Epic crowd doesn't see this, as they don't understand the dynamics of skiing. They don't understand pressure development and pressure release.

You just have to stand at the side of a race course from the first racer to the last for a few decades and watch all the skiing based on poor pivoting going on, to realize what is diminishing performance and what enhances it. You can't produce this by posting outrageous dribble on a forum in a virtual make believe world.

I'm sure the Epic Experts on that forum find the race course antics of over pivoting and skidding used by most racers very rewarding, because of the way they explain and understand skiing; their way is exactly what is transpiring on race courses at that level across the country. But it's not happening at the WC level, so where is the disconnect? Do they not see that their way of explaining skiing is used everywhere by the unsuccessful skiers and racers? Yet they are trying to apply this thinking to the WC, yet the WC guys are getting different results. If you do a simple deduction; the Epic type approach has traction with their local racers and skiers who are skiing unsuccessfully. Where do the Epic posters have no traction, with World Cup skiers; go figure??!!
Last edited by h.harb on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
h.harb

Postby jclayton » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:12 am

What I can't understand about this active pivoting argument is when do they get time to do it in the transition .

When I have been working on leg pullback to pressure the tips and open the hip to get the " stacked " feeling and tipping I just don't have time to think about or do anything else .

In all that action I feel that if I try to pivot or steer or whatever I will lose all co-ordination add fall flat on my face .

The feeling I get also is that if I have the skis pressured by correct hip position I can't physically steer or twist anyway . I would have to do some wierd movements via hips and femurs to acheive this .

Maybe I'm lacking in athletic ability !
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:16 am

Anyone who has taken a PMTS all mountain camp can see this in the skiing of their comrades in their groups. What do they always have too much off, twisting and pivoting, without an early engagement phase. What does this cause in their skiing? It causes late edge sets, hard hits and interruption of momentum going into the next turn.
This is exactly the same thing in racing and race training.

What do we work on so skiers can connect short turns with connected energy and yet still have control, releasing (getting off the edges) and engaging creating an uninterrupted transition. If you try to release and than pivot the skis (can only be done with leg twisting) it makes your engagement late or non existent. This is the same disconnected thinking as those who use a pivot slip exercise to develop WC skiing releases; there is absolutely no biomechanical similarity between the two.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:07 pm

I had to post this after watching the Kitbuhel slalom. It is so obvious that there is no pivoting what so ever that even the commentators remarked that Mario Matt had no skidding during his first run .If you don
Last edited by h.harb on Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Has anyone noticed some posts get cut off.
If you haven't subscribed to WCSN it's worth it, they have been great this season. Steve Purino who I know, ex-US Ski Teamer, was one of the commentators today. One of Steve's comments: "You have to watch what is happening at the feet, nothing above the boots."

Maybe the Epic guys should get a subscription to WCSN to watch WC, so they don't have to make up the fantasy they call ski technique!!!
h.harb

Postby Tommi » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:04 pm

Luckily in finnish tv-broadcasts they use retired WC-skiers as co- commentators.. Sometimes they tell even interesting behind the scenes-stuff. I think it's the same in Sweden.

T2
Tommi

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:52 pm

When you see the ski bends before the falline, (WCSN WC race) it means the ski is not pivoting.
Another comment I have to quote from Steve Purino ex-world cup skier on WCSN: "You have to control the energy from the ski before it gets too far out accross the hill"

Pinch me if I'm wrong, but this means you have to keep from pivoting, in other words don't let it happen, as energy from the ski will get the tails out too far, before the ski is engaged. Sorry Epic, Wrong Again!!
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:16 pm

Next comment by Steve was: (about the French racer) "his skis were edge to edge like rollerblades". I have to admit you have to be good to pivot in rollerblades.

I'd like to see the excuses and double speek Epic comes up with to deny the truth this time. How far out of control are those guys, especially that Rick Epic coach guy? They are dangerous with their total misrepresentation of skiing. How can they show their faces after such a clear Expedition of skiing that is nothing like they want to promote?
h.harb

Postby trtaylor » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:25 pm

h.harb wrote:If you haven't subscribed to WCSN it's worth it, they have been great this season. Steve Purino who I know, ex-US Ski Teamer, was one of the commentators today. One of Steve's comments: "You have to watch what is happening at the feet, nothing above the boots."

I agree, the addition of Steve Porino's expert commentary was an excellent move. I am hopeful WCSN can begin to add some of the advanced video features, such as racer overlays, so two racer's runs can be compared with each other. This will take coverage to a new level.
trtaylor

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System