Watch this before going on Harb Carvers

PMTS Forum

Re: Watch this before going on Harb Carvers

Postby Bolter » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:35 am

4Slide

I can't find Harald's post by here is an excerpt . . .
Take video of all athletes, watch it carefully and based on what we see, divide their movements into four of five groups. Divide the whole group into smaller groups, select the groups by technical weaknesses. A tipping weakness group, then a counter balance weakness group, a fore/aft etc. Show each group, and have them perform the exercises to your satisfaction. Have them perform the exercises while warming up every day before they enter the gates. Tell them they will do the exercises, until you see that movement as part of their skiing, without the exercise focus. The idea is that the athletes should not think they are just doing an exercise to pass the time. They should know they are doing an exercise so as to incorporate the movement of the exercise into their skiing.

Every one of the exercises (on the way soon) is taken from a fundamental movement in skiing and separated from the regular skiing to isolate a movement. Each exercise has an external cue or indication that it is being done correctly, which means there is a way of testing (like a place on the leg to touch or a hand on a hip to feel).

If a skier has proper movements he can do the exercise perfectly almost immediately. This tells you that the skier is skiing properly. If the skier can not do the exercise, it means that movement is not yet part of their skiing capability; therefore they have a big development problem and will not progress, regardless of their talent. At some time in their evolution as a skier, that weakness will show up.

With this program, after a few weeks, one coach can watch 30 kids warming up and know if they are doing the right practice. You can also call over individual kids and change the exercises if you see they have accomplished and changed their movements. In one week, you can review with each athlete's skiing progress on video. You may for some time have to show the skier time and time again what you are looking for in their skiing. After the skier knows what you are looking for, they will begin to quickly believe in the program and you will be able to help them with just a few, well selected words on the slopes

It is under coaching somewhere, can you find the original?
Bolter

Postby 4Slide » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:47 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1756&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=program

Thx!, it was the "Coaching racers" thread, which if I pasted correctly I should have linked in this post.
-J
4Slide

Postby 4Slide » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:07 pm

4Slide wrote:...very noticeable translation to the snow from the carvers...[w]ill report back after working on some technique over the next couple weeks.

They continue to be a great crosstraining tool -- in terms of development this year probably would've been a write-off for my kid without them in fact.
-J
4Slide

Postby h.harb » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:25 pm

I remember thread had something to do with coaching 35 kids with one coach. I don't remember the name of the thread.
h.harb

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System