at a time. (Maybe my many days doing slalom on inline skates on one leg
at a time?)

I can ride the outside edge of the up-hill ski while traversing the hill
(blue or black)

So far so good, but...

When I tried to turn like Harald showed me last February at Kicking Horse
and through his videos and books, from a still position trying to link short
turns, I could only achieve them by bending my outside leg while tipping
the inside leg. Any other stance would cause my inside leg to separate from the outside leg.

Am I up to no good :twisted: by bending my outside leg while tipping the inside one?

Thank you.
Mr. T

Help me

Postby Bluey » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:21 pm

Hi T,.......I'm probably the last person who would give advice....so as no one else is offering any here goes........
I think your problem is that your possibly not keeping sufficient centre of mass ( CM ) over the new Stance Foot ( SF ).
After the release try focusing on either
1.moving your butt, possibly sideways & /or more back up the hill but...
2. you may need to watch out for your shoulders and make sure they're not leaning down the hill....I was taught to concentrate on keeping my shoulders tipping slightly towards the outside of the turn, as if tipping water out of a full bucket that was on your outside shoulder, so that you can feel all your weight shifting over to the edge of the new SF ski.
I think the aim is to have all your weight from your shoulders down thru to your knees all aligned vertically up/down over the new SF's ski's griping edge.......when this happens then, I think, the SF knee won't feel inclined to twist or need to bend.
Also try lightening the new Free Foot ( FF ) rather than lifting it....that is, focus on lifting the arch of the FF enough to just keep the weight on the new SF. When you lift the arch of the new FF, at the beginining of the turn, keep your balance more fore than aft.....you will know you have got this correct because the front tip of the new FF will be touching the snow but the back tip will be raised off the snow....also you should feel more weight on the balls of your feet, after the beginning of the new turn as you approach/ cross the fall line, rather than spread over the entire foot...... and certainly you don't want the weight on your heels till much later in the turn ... as you begin to approach the bottom of the turn......

I trust the above helps.......I'm a relatively new comer to skiing so possibly others may be able to correct my advice or give you some better tips......

Good luck!

bluey
Bluey

Postby Bluey » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:45 pm

I had one further thought....possibly you need to check you free foot position when you lighten it.....if you keep too far forward it will push the balance too far forward making it difficult to keep the knee unbent....so try pulling your free foot back under your hips when you lighten and then its easier to lock in your knee. The reverse applies....if you move your FF forward your balnce moves more towards the fore and away from the aft......

good luck

bluey
Bluey

Postby The Big Show -- SCSA » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:55 am

Hi Mr. T,

Well, the only thing I can offer is my own personal experience. I started at the bottom, ask HH. I still have work to do, but I'm getting there.

What I concentrated on, was the drills. The better I got at the drills, the better I skied. The drills taught me balance and that's what I learned first. I think HH will say that he really teaches balance, first.

So my recommendation would be to work on those drills. Work on the release, too. I'd say learning the release is probably right at the top of the list, along with balance, in PMTS. To simplify, I think HH teaches skiers two things;

1) balance
2) releasing

What's great about his system is that the drills work 2 ways; they teach you balance, they get you used to releasing the downhill ski to start the next turn.

So keep working on your balance and the drills. If you keep it up, before long you'll be on fire!

Be cool,
The Big Show -- SCSA

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System