PSIA-Northwest Fall Seminar Report

PMTS Forum

Postby Ott Gangl » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:51 pm

Last week at our open house the ski patrol has a tent where people bring their used equipment for sale. About 800 used boots were brought and over 300 were sold. Bootfitting was done by the customers as they tried on their new purchases. So 300 skiers are hoping that their 'new' boots will make them better skiers.

....Ott
Ott Gangl

Postby h.harb » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:08 pm

That' s great Ott, 300 new customers, just send them out here to get set up.
h.harb

Postby Ott Gangl » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:34 pm

A lot of straight/non-shaped skis were also sold.

...Ott
Ott Gangl

Postby Ken » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:18 pm

Ott Gangl wrote:A lot of straight/non-shaped skis were also sold.

...Ott
Good for tomato stakes and making Adirondack chairs. The bindings might be good for decoy anchors.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby Icanski » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:31 pm

A friend of mine in Utah gets all the straight skis and puts them in the ground to make a sort of picket fence...it's...uh....colorful :? :wink:
Icanski
Icanski

Postby Icanski » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:53 pm

boots:
I came from a Lange 120s in which I had three different footbeds, two different shells sizes, and they still hurt a lot and still hindered my progress. I would say I got through my first two PMTS levels "in spite of" my boots. Each of the fitters said the previous guy had it wrong. With the last guy, acclaimed as one of the best fitter in Toronto, I had him read the last chapter of HH's first book on alignment, so he would knw where I was coming from.
Then I got my new Heads, and Chris and Diana fit me, aligned me and got me set up. The difference on my first few turns was already noticeable (mainly by the smile on my face) and it was quite pain free! One big difference, though these boots are as stiff as the previous Langes, is that I can stand up in them, so I can therefore pull back the feet. I'm not pushed way forward by default, so I have mobility, flexion, and comfort; there is now a range-of-movement. It made a drastic advance in my skiing because now I could actually work on the moves. And it felt wonderful.

The problem is: how many people here are getting set up incorrectly by these fitters. I don't have much confidence in sending someone to a fitter here. They didn't measure the same, they didn't adjust it the same, they didn't fix it the same as Chris did. No T-square, nothing. They'll sell them boots, and footbeds, and adjust the boots and send them out and it may not make any difference. I suggested that one shop send a technician to Harald's fitting camp, and they looked at me like I was nuts...I won't be sending anyone there. It's a loss of business for them. And just a loss for the customer.
Icanski
Icanski

Postby Ott Gangl » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:54 pm

On one of my back porches...Ott

Image[/img]
Ott Gangl

Postby skidaddle » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:26 am

The single biggest improvement that came in my skiing was right after Chris properly fit me with Head boots and HH foot beds. :lol: The smile does come with the purchase.

I also have taken ski lessons at Vail that helped my confidence a little, but hurt my technique and quads ( keep you weigh on both skis at all times!) The only thing that saved me was Lito's book (quasi PMTS with an up move IMO) which showed me the Phantom move. That lead me to this website and real help.

Since trashing all the other stuff, my skiing is constantly improving. I started at 46 and will be 52 this Feb.

My thanks to HH and real answers that work.

skidaddle
skidaddle

Postby Icanski » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:01 pm

Otto,
I am afraid to say I can remember many of those skis and owned several. The orange and black Rossi Rocs were my ski as a Patroller, and I remember the Hexcels with their then outrageous colored topsheets. And the Rossis on the right in blue and red, also very popular.
Many happy memories on those boards.
cheers,
John
Icanski

Postby Ott Gangl » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:06 pm

Icanski, in ancient times I had the best ski boots made to my last by Lacknerer in Kitzbuehel Austria and they were displayed at our bar for many years until it was remodeled. They were the double laced kind that left callouses on your little fingers from tightening the laces, it probably was before Harald's time, but they were the state of the art at the time, they got wet every day of skiing thus the spanners. Thought you may enjoy some nostalgia.

I never had problems with alignment, lucky me.

....Ott

Image[/img]
Ott Gangl

Postby Icanski » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:31 pm

Very nice Otto,
My first pair of ski boots in 1964 were like that. Double sets of laces, and bear trap bindings.
Then when I got a bit older, I had my Mom's Henke leather boots but with the narrow buckles, and later some of the first Lange Plastic boots. Lange was from Dubuque, Iowa, and I grew up not far from there, so there was a bias in the area.
Those boots look pretty good.
thanks for the memories. flex? what flex!?
Icanski
Icanski

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System