Request for evaluation of a skier

PMTS Forum

Request for evaluation of a skier

Postby Si » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:13 pm

Harald,

I would be interested in your evaluation of this person's skiing. This is not anyone special or controversial. I am just interested in what you see so that I can see if I am in the ball park in my own thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk6LCk3dX0o

Thanks, Si
Si

Postby h.harb » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:40 pm

Hello Si,

Just catching up after a month of being on the road. I think this is good skiing, very athletic, mostly due to the rebound unweighting of the tails. This will cause problems or be evident only when comparing this skier to better skiers, on more difficult, steep or icy terrain.
I also think he could find skiing less complicated if his alignment were the same on both legs. He is doing some compensating on every turn for his tibial varum and possibly he also has some torsion.

He has excellent upper lower body skills, counter balancing, and a stable upper body. Also good tipping of the lower body, ankles and feet. He gets the skis on angle before loading the skis, but the load phase is very short, that?s why you see use of so much rebound. If he absorbed the energy from the turn, with better flex timing, his skis would be on the ground more often. Some coaching in these areas would make him more versatile and more efficient. I?m not saying it?s bad skiing, just that it could be refined.
h.harb

Postby Si » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:08 am

Thanks Harald,

Sounds pretty much right on the mark to me. I'm not sure I viewed the use of rebound energy as negative - in fact I liked it (and sometimes try to get a little more of that because I find it so much fun). However, I certainly appreciate the negative aspects of that in other situations as you mentioned. I also took special notice of his upper body stability as you did.

Thanks so much for taking the time to look at this and give a brief evaluation.

Best, Si
Si

Postby h.harb » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:43 am

Please don't view my comments about rebound energy as negative. Skiing is all about rebound energy. It's how you use it that shows the difference between an expert and someone who looks out of sorts and recovering. I always strive for what will serve you best in the most difficult conditions, as that kind of skiing will never get you in trouble. If you get out of balance on easy terrain, you will find yourself in trouble using the same movements on challenging terrain.

However, if the hit or edge set is late with the skis across the faline this isn't going to go well in varied conditions.
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System