PMTS and how it is differs from other systems

PMTS Forum

Postby dewdman42 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:07 pm

h.harb wrote:Max has a great eye for fliming.

Yes, I have noticed that. Max actually offered this to me already via PM and I have been thinking about it Max, I do want to take you up on that offer. Just have to figure out when.
dewdman42

Here's one

Postby BigE » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:51 am

FYI: I just did a google search for ski teaching systems.

This one has a book and dvd:

http://www.shapeski.com/

A.J.Kitt says it's good. I know nothing else about it.
BigE

Postby h.harb » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:39 am

I've known Al for over thirty years. His stuff has a mixed bag of exercises, but not much continuity or sophistication. In some ways it's very overboard with wide stance focus and extreme exercises. It's OK to have exercises, we do in PMTS, but not random exercises that skiers do just as a matter of course. An exercise line should be developed based on a skiers specific developmental needs or you are wasting time.

That maybe OK with racers, as the coaches get bored seeing the same kids everyday, so they have to come up with something.

For example, If I need counter balance in my skiing, why would I want to work on fore/aft exercises, if I'm already in fore/aft balance. I guess there can be some benefits to doing exercises for the sake of exercises, but it's not a system. Al program is focused toward skiers who are already at the racer level..
h.harb

Postby Bolter » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:30 am

h.harb wrote:Honestly, I'm not trying to be cute here, I was inquiring about systems. When someone posts that PMTS is the only effective system, the response is often, either, it's one of, or it's not the only one. All I'm asking is, if there is another system, I'd like to learn from it and see it in action.

Call it what you like, I want to expose my understanding of skiing to you Harold. I am not looking for a review or am I offering this as an alternative to any system. I wrote this out of frustration with the limits of skidded ATS turns.
I have no idea how to get the pdf file that is in the EPIC supporters area into your hands. I also have a copy in my docs. Harold, if you are interested, maybe someone can help. It may sound silly but I would be honored if you found the time to read my work.
I wrote the Bulk in 2000. I have Terms and meanings in there that contradict PMTS which I now retract. In particular counterbalance
Bolter

Postby h.harb » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:43 am

Here is an approach that I really support, writing your thoughts and explaining understanding of skiing on paper or computer. If you write it, you will be amazed how much you learn about yourself and your knowledge. I?m honored you respect my opinion and want me to read your material. If you can get it to me somehow, I?d be pleased to read it. If I can go to a site to get it let me know.
h.harb

Postby Bolter » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:27 am

h.harb wrote:Here is an approach that I really support, writing your thoughts and explaining understanding of skiing on paper or computer. If you write it, you will be amazed how much you learn about yourself and your knowledge. I?m honored you respect my opinion and want me to read your material. If you can get it to me somehow, I?d be pleased to read it. If I can go to a site to get it let me know.

The only place (I know of) that someone can access ARC TECH is the Supporters forum @ Epic. Again I have a pdf file in my docs of the manual. Can someone tell me how to get it to Harold. I am at a loss here to make it happen. I sure want to.
Bolter

Postby Sidecut » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:36 am

just attach the pdf to an email to:
ask.us@pmts.org
Sidecut

Postby BigE » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:12 am

serious wrote:But I am paying attention to PMTS, learning about it and participating here. At least I am no longer completely ignorant about what is missing in my skiing. :D

That's awesome! It's funny how the usual instructional channels sometimes forget to point out what they are actually addressing.

But for many people, the instructor's words are enough. Naturally, I don't think their goal is to ski at very high levels, for whatever reason. Personally, I think it is because their default levels (which were taught to them) don't allow for it! Even they are left thinking: "How can you possibly get there from here?"
BigE

Postby Max_501 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:25 pm

From the Epic thread regarding the video I posted:

Originally Posted by skitoday on EPIC
Maybe he got the idea from WC, but the skiing images in the Vids. are, I hope for HH's sake, not representative of higher level PMTS skiing!!

The best adjective I ,as a non-professional, can use....is that the skiing is " clunky"....no flow, playfulness or style.

Ouch!
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:32 pm

That guy obviously doesn't know what he's looking at, he's probably looking for a pop up extension and you're not giving him one. Remember in PSIA that's lively and energtic and encouraged.
h.harb

Postby Simon Kinahan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:57 am

Maybe he got the idea from WC, but the skiing images in the Vids. are, I hope for HH's sake, not representative of higher level PMTS skiing!!

The best adjective I ,as a non-professional, can use....is that the skiing is " clunky"....no flow, playfulness or style.

Out of nearly 900 posts so far, that's the only one to suggest that Max's skiing isn't excellent. Which is unprecedented by Epic standards. Well done, Max.
Simon Kinahan

Postby h.harb » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:49 am

A big Sorry to Sktoday, No it's not a representation of Higher PMTS skiing it's representation of better skiing then most skiers will ever acheive while particpating in the sport.

With comments like that I can already make a good guess at the level of skiing and understanding he represents!!! Anyway where's the guy been? Almost every one who posted about MAx's skiing, even on Epic, thought it to be very good????
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Tue May 29, 2007 4:14 pm

So what is the final solution? When we can have enough influence with PMTS with all skiers, not to have some poor fellow like the one in these previous posts fooled by misunderstanding and jibberish.
h.harb

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System