Bullet Proof Short Radius Turns!!

PMTS Forum

Re: Bullet Proof Short Radius Turns!!

Postby Norman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:29 am

Just a short note. Purchased the essentials book last year and the three videos this year. Read and studied the book last year and continued this year. Live in Midwest so only ski about 20 days per season. I must say that the info in both the book and the DVDs is fantastic. I have never found anything close to explaining the movements like PMTS. I am 71 yrs old And still trying to improve my skiing. Was a physics instructor for 45 years and that is why I am so impressed with PMTS. It is the only teaching system that fully correlates with the laws of physics. Reasons that are actually scientifically sound physics fundamentals are incorporated into the teaching process that make PMTS the most powerful tool for improving your skiing. I feel very fortunate to have stumbled onto the YouTube videos two years ago. Still learning with every skiing session. No other ski instruction program that I have studied comes close to providing the proper explanation for making the necessary movements needed to advance the level of your skiing. I am continually impressed with the detail, that is never addressed in other programs, applied to PMTS techniques. Thanks Harold for making skiing enjoyable and understandable from a more technical standpoint. You have made the process of learning how to improve at the essential elements of skiing fundamentally a legitimate process not found in other skiing instruction programs. I am eternally grateful.
Norman

Postby skijim13 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:29 am

I agree, having advanced training in science PMTS follows the rules of physics and biomechanics. TTS does not but the skier that does will disagree with you to the end of time that PMTS is true to physics and science.
skijim13

Postby Rod9301 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:28 am

I've been working on brushed carve turns, since taking a few lessons with a PMTS instructor.

On groomed runs, or soft snow, everything is OK.

But when I get to frozen ungroomed snow, with lots of ridges from previous skiers, it seems that this turn results in not very smooth skiing.

And that a carved non brushed turn results in a smoother ride.

Any thoughts?
Rod9301

Postby h.harb » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:14 am

Increase the angles and flex the legs more, the PMTS movements don't change, you increase or decrease them as necessary for the conditions and turns you want.
h.harb

Postby Rod9301 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:25 am

Thank you.

Just to be sure i understand:
Flexing and tipping more in frozen, rough snow, mean results in high edge angles, as opposed to brushing the turn.
Rod9301

Postby Icanski » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:56 pm

flexing and tipping results in higher edge angles in anysnow.
As HH said, increase or decrease as necessary for the conditions and turns you want.

If you are brushing and the skis aren't on a high angle, you will feel the bumps and ruts more, your skis are riding over them; whereas if they are on a higher angle, they will slice through them on edge more, so you will have a smoother ride. Think of a boat going through waves, if it's sliding through waves at a low angle it will get bounced around a bit, vs. powering through, tipped on it's edge more, where it will slice through the waves.

The other obvious way to understand it is to try it out. Make an arc across the hill at a gentle angle towards the fall line. As in the books, you can get your skis on edge, hold yourself back with your poles, and then lift them and let go. Try it again, with more flex, and tipped to a higher angle....see what happens.
Icanski

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System