Another video, comments appreciated

PMTS Forum

Postby tdk6 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:25 am

Hobbit wrote:No, I don't think so. What is being discussed here is the exercise from the book.
You've got to have the book in order to be able to refer to the same thing.

What exersise? I have the book...
tdk6

Postby Max_501 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:38 am

tdk6 wrote:What exersise? I have the book...

Pages 62-65. In your video you demonstrate the drill but with more ski redirection. Try it at a slower speed and try not to change ski direction at all.
Max_501

Postby tdk6 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:24 pm

Max_501 wrote:
tdk6 wrote:What exersise? I have the book...

Pages 62-65. In your video you demonstrate the drill but with more ski redirection. Try it at a slower speed and try not to change ski direction at all.

So that when I land I keep going in the same direction? We have been dooing it as a edge to edge jump in race coaching, comming off the snow in a carve on one set of edges and land in a carve on the other set of edges.
tdk6

Postby Max_501 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:31 pm

tdk6 wrote:So that when I land I keep going in the same direction?

Exactly, the idea is to be at the highest point of the high C. This requires a great deal of counter balancing skills at low speeds.
Max_501

Postby tdk6 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:24 pm

Max_501 wrote:Try it at a slower speed and try not to change ski direction at all.

Not to change ski direction at all!? This is not really possible in my opinion since landing on an edge will start to turn your skis. Its like tipping. If you want to be going the same direction you need to have your skis flat to the snow. You need to be perpendicular to the snow. This is a normal drill in race coaching. We place ski poles cross the track where we want our kids to get airborn.
tdk6

Postby geoffsep1963 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:38 pm

If you really are interested, read the whole thing. Go back and understand the Edge Switch Corridor on p 60. There are a series of excercises progressing through the end of the Essential Tipping Chapter.
geoffsep1963

Postby Max_501 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:49 pm

tdk6 wrote:Not to change ski direction at all!? This is not really possible in my opinion since landing on an edge will start to turn your skis. Its like tipping. If you want to be going the same direction you need to have your skis flat to the snow. You need to be perpendicular to the snow. This is a normal drill in race coaching. We place ski poles cross the track where we want our kids to get airborn.

Jump up, change edges and land. That's all there is too it. Yes, after you land and begin to carve on the snow you will begin to arc into the new turn.

The idea is to change edges in the air without any redirection (steering) of the skis.

Jump over poles is not the same drill.
Max_501

Postby tdk6 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:08 am

Max_501 wrote:Jump up, change edges and land. That's all there is too it. Yes, after you land and begin to carve on the snow you will begin to arc into the new turn.

The idea is to change edges in the air without any redirection (steering) of the skis.

I just watched the DVD and yes, speed is slower and jump is therefore shorter and with less air but I still think that what I did was the exact same thing, or?
tdk6

Postby Max_501 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:15 am

tdk6 wrote:I just watched the DVD and yes, speed is slower and jump is therefore shorter and with less air but I still think that what I did was the exact same thing, or?

The video is just one example of the jump. At race camp we did it at different speeds. What I'm saying is that when I do it for practice I try to go very slow and have ZERO redirection of the skis when I'm in the air. I find this to be quite challenging as it requires superb counter balancing skills upon landing upside down. As you increase speed this drill gets MUCH easier.
Max_501

Postby tdk6 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:29 pm

Max_501 wrote:The video is just one example of the jump. At race camp we did it at different speeds. What I'm saying is that when I do it for practice I try to go very slow and have ZERO redirection of the skis when I'm in the air. I find this to be quite challenging as it requires superb counter balancing skills upon landing upside down. As you increase speed this drill gets MUCH easier.

I agree, its harder to do it at slower speed because you cannot use the ski rebound to lift you up and once you are in the air if balance is off skis get easily pivotted into the new turn. I tried it today and I did much better than a couple of days ago. Problem is really to get a slope with an even pich so that its possible to repet the exersise many times with linked turns. It usually takes a few turns before you get the timing right and leave ground.

I think that anybody that can jump up in the air at any speed in a transition is worth applauds because its deffinetly a hard exersise.
tdk6

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System