Another video, comments appreciated

PMTS Forum

Postby h.harb » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:29 pm

Oh, if you are not familiar with this procedure with credit cards here it is. Take an old credit card or piece of plastic, cut it in strips about 5 to 6 mm wide and 3 to 4 cm long, tape them together and them tape them to the binding or boot sole. Make sure the credit cards are taped to the boot or binding at the point where the boot rests on the heel piece. If you have plates on the boot soles you can insert the credit card strips between the boot and the plate, if you back-off on the screws that hold the plate.
h.harb

Postby Tommi » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:03 pm

Harald, thanks for the advice. I'll try the cards tomorrow.
Procedure is familiar, and I made lots of experienting with my previous Atomic boots, which had removable toe and heel pieces.

I'll PM you further details.

Ciao,

T2
Tommi

Postby alan » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:15 pm

I recently got some Doberman 130's and struggled getting them off as well until I tried this:

1) Sit down.

2) Unbuckle.

3) Put the toe of the foot/boot that you don't want to remove between the calf and liner at the back of the boot/leg. This is a little tricky when you still have both boots on, but its doable and becomes easy after a couple of times

4) Make a lobster claw shape with both hands and slide your thumbs down into the boot, with the palms facing towards the shins, and each thumb sliding behind one half of the split portion of the lower boot.

5) Pull the lower boot halves apart with your hands and push gently with the foot that is on top of the back of the boot. Your foot should slide out of the boot easily.

I don't know if there are better ways, but it seems to work for me.

Sorry for being off topic, but since it was mentioned I thought it might be useful to someone.

Alan
alan

Postby Max_501 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:04 pm

tdk6 wrote:
Max_501 wrote:In the video you can see that you are pushing off of your new outside ski before the old outside ski is released.

Could you please explain this a little.... Im not really shure what you mean.

I didn't write that very well did I! Ok, so, what HH teaches us is this movement pattern to start a new turn (after the flexing has started). Tip the new inside foot to the LTE. Allow the new outside foot to follow this tipping action. So, the new inside foot is active and the new outside foot is passive.

tdk6 wrote:Are you saying that the skis should be closer together, close stance, at transition but wide apart while in the turning phase? And when exactly do you suggest we flex the outside leg?

This is covered in excellent detail in Harald's latest book Essentials of Skiing. Its a great book and well worth the $20.

In the belly of the turn the skis will be farthest apart. Generally we refer to this as vertical separation because we like to see the legs horizontally close. But, the skis will be far apart in the vertical sense (one is higher up the hill than the other). If you don't let the outside ski track back to the inside ski during the release then at the float you'll have a very wide stance, which in PMTS you don't want.
Max_501

Postby tdk6 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:50 am

Max_501 wrote:...so, what HH teaches us is this movement pattern to start a new turn (after the flexing has started). Tip the new inside foot to the LTE. Allow the new outside foot to follow this tipping action. So, the new inside foot is active and the new outside foot is passive.

So the new outside ski foot where the pressure is should be passive? Maybe if we look at it from a movement point of view yes. When do you consider the new inside foot to become passive?

Max_501 wrote:In the belly of the turn the skis will be farthest apart. Generally we refer to this as vertical separation because we like to see the legs horizontally close. But, the skis will be far apart in the vertical sense (one is higher up the hill than the other). If you don't let the outside ski track back to the inside ski during the release then at the float you'll have a very wide stance, which in PMTS you don't want.

This is a very big difference to modern race coaching where the vertical separation is kept consistant.
tdk6

Postby Tommi » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:11 am

Tdk,

For DH, SG and maybe GS, I agree. But for slalom and especially for PMTS wannabees and other skiing students balancewise I think Harald has excellent explanation in his books why to keep the stance at constant width. The tracks will get wider during high angles and come closer at transition. Legs are actually maintaining lateral distance, only vertical separation gets the tracks wider.

If tracks are constant width, then the lateral separation changes during turns.

Why is it good to keep the stance constant: it's easier to tip in a correct manner. If the stance is wide in turn initiation, it's a lot more difficult to get the tipping movements and counter balance right?

PMTS experts can explain this better, I'm sure. The books have it all.

T2

PS Going shopping for some duct tape. Alignment studies begin again today!
Tommi

Postby tdk6 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:36 am

Tommi, thanks for the explanation. I have to give this a try today. I have never heared this being mentioned before. This would also give the inside ski a room to track to a slightly wider arch which is a good thing.
tdk6

Postby Tommi » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:02 am

Yesterday the wind was too 'good' for skiing practise.

Instead (this is off-topic) we went kiteskiing. What's that? Here my 15yr son is taking some air:

http://personal.inet.fi/perhe/antila/videos/Hyppy.wmv

We found a tremendous spot, a huge lake with looots of snow.

Today I'll go back to the slopes for a try with the credit card boosted boots.
Tommi

Postby Tommi » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:38 am

Corrected alignment after a couple of runs. It WORKS!

http://personal.inet.fi/perhe/antila/vi ... unigen.wmv

Have to hurry back to the slopes..

Thank you, this is a small piece under the boots but a giant leap for my skiing :shock:
Tommi

Postby tdk6 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:32 am

Tommi wrote:Corrected alignment after a couple of runs. It WORKS!

http://personal.inet.fi/perhe/antila/vi ... unigen.wmv

Have to hurry back to the slopes..

Thank you, this is a small piece under the boots but a giant leap for my skiing :shock:

Is this the von grunigen drill?
tdk6

Postby Max_501 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:11 am

tdk6 wrote:Is this the von grunigen drill?

Yes, also called a 'Weighted Release' which is detailed in Book 2.
Max_501

Postby Tommi » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:43 am

Back to the cottage. Huh. Tired, but happy..

Funny. Heh, at first in the lift I thought, wow, my knees must point 45 degrees out. I looked down, my knees pointed exactly straight ahead, slightly outside my big toes.

First runs felt weird. I was struggling with the bad habits. I used knee drive and desperate counterbalance, which I do not need anymore.

But it took only a couple of grunigens to figure out that now I did not need to 'make' the ski grip. The ski works now much better just letting it work. I wonder if it will be even better with fully correct alignment and custom footbeds :D

The timing, flexing and tipping is not yet working optimally, of course. But I'll try to fit as many essential's drills into the two days I have left here.

The biggest joy was single ski carving, which I could do with surprising speed and even slightly bending the ski on its outside edge. I have NEVER been able to do that.

Tomorrow back to business, from the beginning..

Ciao,

T2
Tommi

Postby Max_501 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:48 am

Tommi wrote:The biggest joy was single ski carving, which I could do with surprising speed and even slightly bending the ski on its outside edge. I have NEVER been able to do that.

Congratulations! That is a big step toward expert skiing. When you can dance from edge to edge at will the mountain is yours! (when I watch Harald ripping in difficult conditions it looks to me like he is dancing down the mountain, so impressive and inspiring to see).
Max_501

Postby Tommi » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:44 pm

One more video:

http://personal.inet.fi/perhe/antila/vi ... rallel.wmv

This was shot by myself, vertically down, I had the camera in my right hand. I'm satisfied, the divergence is gone and this looks fluid to me. The angles are medium. Pity the light was a bit flat, so the skis do not separate too well from the 'background'.

Ciao,

T2
Tommi

Amazing

Postby geoffsep1963 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:18 pm

great work !! Amazing to see the difference in almost "real time" how even a simple alignment attempt works miracles, just like Harald says at the end of book one :-)

Would you mind posting a photo of the credit cards? Are they on the sole of the boots?

I can't wait until Sunday, May 6 :-D
geoffsep1963

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System