Float, how long?

PMTS Forum

Float, how long?

Postby Narrowfeet » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:23 pm

I would guess the length of the float period depends on the length of the turn. Longer for long radius turns and shorter for short. Are there any guidelines for how long the skis should be flat?
Narrowfeet

Re: Float, how long?

Postby Max_501 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:49 pm

The important thing is to feel the float. Its not a timed thing per say. Also, you don't want to rush through it (think pushing off of the skis) but you want to feel your body float through flat as it moves into the new turn.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:28 pm

Float is when the skis are flat during transition. Did you see how Grandi's skis were bouncing during his float, that's too long off the pressure. Notice in Cuche's freeskiing there's much more snow contact. Cuche has much less up movement and has more forward extension with pulling the feet back. Grandi's is too much of a pop in his GS free skiing. He's better in shorter arcs.
h.harb

Postby ibMED » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:22 am

The first rule of corporate america is never contradict your boss in public, but ..
A certain HH wrote on p.92 of Expert Skier 2
"When you examine your ski tracks between turns, there should be a section where you can see flat tracks from both ski bases, with neither tipped to an edge. You should try to have the skis flat for a full ski length. If you have two flat tracks between turns with no edge impresssion, then you are performing the float correctly."
I would assume this applies to a turn shape typical of those demonstrated in linked turns in the Undergraduate Section of that book. My limited experience would agree that float be extended when benefical. I've used the concept in bumps and crud where I wanted to stay off my edges and it works pretty well.
If you don't know where you're going, any ski turn will get you there!
ibMED

Postby h.harb » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:59 pm

Well done pointing out the nuances of transition and especially two footed releases. Most skiers lose control of their ski direction in the transition, when the skis are flat. At times, in camps I tell skiers to practice going through flat without hesitation because that?s when many things can go wrong. One ski or foot can dominate edging, one ski can push out to the side, the hips may not have time to move, in accord with ski tipping. All of these situations will yield a less then ideal engagement or arc entry.

Some of the benefits of working with the float are to refine you foot control and lateral edging movements. This is done at slow speeds and low dynamics. Skiers always remark how everything is more difficult at slow speed. Yes, that?s true because you can?t cheat on balance at slow speed.

The float is less technique then it is a way of checking your movement quality. It is a true skill to have parallel, flat bases at the same time, on the snow, between engagements.

You can with this approach discover your two footed tipping symmetry. I also recommend the float to skiers who are too quick to use hip thrust, to push the skis to the edge. The float and the analysis of the tracks, each ski leaves a trail, which will give you instant feedback about how you engage your edges, is it with a punish, pivot or tipping. Rushing into a new turn rather than being patient is almost every skiers dilemma. Using the float as an exercise tool, will slow down your turning habit, and allow your upper body to move across the skis with the tipping actions.

Begin float practice on flat areas using tipping of the feet to change edges. Try not to finish the arcs at first, stay close to the falline. We will soon notice whether you have control of your tipping movements and also if you are skiing with tipping or pushing. 99% of skiers never tip their skis, they push the skis to the side, to get the skis on edge. This is always achieved very late and therefore throwing balance over the skis to the wind.

The float practice is advanced skiing and as it takes advanced feel of the skis and edges, great practice for intermediate to advanced skier who are already parallel, but want to refine their tipping movements to the next level.
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System