Quick tips ??

PMTS Forum

Quick tips ??

Postby jclayton » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:25 am

There are loads of useless quick tips from traditional instructors , some odd, some funny . A couple I remember ;
Put headlights on your knees
Say goodmorning as you plant your pole ( French instructor )
How about you guys ?
J.C.
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby Bluey » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:05 pm

The tip which made me shake my head was ......."Sing a song as you ski down".......

Bluey
Bluey

Postby HH » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:27 am

Please don't get me started on this one, the list might never end.

1. Rise to release
2. Steer your feet, legs etc
3. Steer the inside foot, leg, whatever
4. Weight both skis, widen the stance
5. Move into the new turn
6. Push your center of mass into the turn with uphill leg extension
7. You don't have enough rotary
8. Stand square
9. Stand on the whole foot
10. Pivot on top of the bump
If you have an instructor that recommends any of these, don't walk, run from the lesson.
HH

Postby jclayton » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:06 am

Bluey ,
ya aint got no rhythm .
J.C.
jclayton

Postby Bluey » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:19 am

JC,

Not only don't i got rhythm......but I didn't know the words to any songs more than the first line....so I had to resort to singing the theme song from that old cartooon show "Quick Draw McGraw".... 'cause it was the only song long enough that I knew which would last me whilst I attempted to "ski" all the way down to the bottom of that ski slope "......"Yippee I O Ki Yayyyyy"..............all the way down......my singing hasn't changed for the better these days but thanks to PMTS at least my skiing skills have improved.....

Bluey
Bluey

Postby Randy Brooks » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:23 am

When I skied with Snokarver last spring, he had me make a loud sound (any sound) as I made each turn-sort of like Craig McNeil's instruction to exhale with each turn.

Yes, heads turned as I loudly went down the slope. You'll have to ask Snokarver what sound I chose.

Randy
Randy Brooks

Postby jclayton » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:16 pm

A tip I found quite useful while starting to do powder turns was just counting them . I found my counting becoming a regular beat and I was doing more and more turns before falling .
A good one for the tone deaf ( not mentioning any names though tuneful Aussies are few and far between )
J.C
jclayton

Postby Bluey » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:24 pm

In respect to counting.......another tip I used was to categories ski slopes into simple numbers .......eg a No # 3 slope was steeper thru to a No # say #6 slope was gentle/green........eg if a Slope-Type was a number #3 then every time I counted to 3 then I would make a turn, .....this got the rhythm going for that particular steepness of slope, e.g. as I went down I would chant to myself.......
1,2,3 (turn)
...1,2.3(turn)
....1,2.3.(turn)
.....1,2,3( turn)
...... etc.

This worked OK...... but at my PMTS camp, my instructor said to me that if I really had to do this then he suggested to me an even better version of my chanting..... and this made my system really effective for me.....he suggested that rather than counting that I chant the word "tip".
The idea was to get my tipping to be continuous whilst at the same time allowing me to work on my Rhythm....eg. therefore, it became........
tip, tip tip( turn) .....
tip, tip ,tip (turn).........
tip tip tip ( turn).........
etc

Of course not every slope is purely just one number-type all the way down ....the top part might be a #3 then further down it might become a #4 then further down again it might be a #3 and then back to a #4 with a final #5 to finish at the bottom section...........
.( As to what the numbering is for any slope??.....well, you obviously make that up to suit your own skiing skill/confidence level......a #3 for me might be a #5 for someone else...and vice versa).

One final point on the "counting".....once I felt comfotable with the continuous tipping I could substitite the word tip with say the word ....."strong arm"( SA) so when I wanted to just focus on my SA technique...so it then became ......
SA,SA,SA ( turn).......
SA,SA,SA ( turn).....
SA,SA,SA ( turn)......etc.

Wherever I tell anyone my system it gets a good laugh...but it works for me 'cause it forces me to focus and block out any distracting thoughts as I go down the slope .........

Bluey
Bluey

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System