New Book

PMTS Forum

Postby Harald » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:32 pm

Who will be the first to get the review of Essentials on Amazon?
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Postby dewdman42 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:06 am

As soon as Amazon sends me my book!!!!! the suspense is killing me...
dewdman42

Postby Billy Dee NJ » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:20 am

Just got an email from Amazon, the book has been shipped! :D
Billy Dee NJ

Postby SrMike » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:34 am

I ordered mine yesterday evening and also go an email that it was shipped today. Can't wait to read it.
SrMike

Books have made their way into Canada

Postby Dave T » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:39 am

Received my book Friday from Indigo/Chapters. The books have made their way in to Canada. Once through and I need to read in more detail.
Great Book Harald.
Dave in Vancouver
rather be in Whistler
Dave T

Postby Harald » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:45 pm

Dave, Great to hear it has already reached Chapters and Canadian outlets.
Harald

Haralds knowledge has extended around the world

Postby fredm8 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:02 am

And has been reached New Zealand too. My long time ordered copy arrived this morning via our trusty postal delivery service.

The video is informatiive, and I've already picked up some key points and advice having just watched that through.

Cant wait to read through the book cover to cover.
My initial thoughts mirror those already posted about the book being clearly laid out, with some great pictures.
Douglas

From the land of the long white cloud, a land down under.
fredm8

Postby SrMike » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:15 am

I ordered mine Sunday and got it in the mail today. :D I started reading it last night. Really good what I've covered so far. I even found the drill to help with the dreaded up move. (In the book and on the DVD)Although, looking at what little video that we shot on Friday, before the battery died, I seem to have gotten rid of it. This is a pretty crazy week, but I should get it read by next week.
SrMike

For the record

Postby John Mason » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:37 pm

and good timing - my 3 copies arrived today from Amazon

Which is just in time for me to take them next week and get the masters signature!
John Mason

Postby dewdman42 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:39 pm

Amazon? I'm going to my mailbox right now....
dewdman42

Postby Harald » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:26 pm

If you want a book in two days call the shop, we have a new shipment.
303-567-0679
Harald

The new book is great!

Postby SrMike » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:10 pm

I just finished my first read through the book and, I have to say, I am really impressed. The essentials are laid out in a logical, easy to understand manner and I have been able to apply the information to my skiing immediately. I actually had an epiphany about my own skiing after reading page through 171. I think the sequence of progressions and drills is logical and well presented. As I started working through the drills this past weekend, it made even more sense to me. That led to a few ah-ha moments. I think the biggest thing I am getting from this book is a better understanding of the "Essentials" of expert skiing.

I learned to ski in the 70's with what is probably called "old school technique" these days. I basically didn't ski in the 90's and I missed the shaped ski revolution. That is, until I started skiing again 4 years ago. I got off the straight skis, got shaped skis and now I have to learn to ski all over again. LOL Two seasons ago I found the Harb website, read books 1 & 2 and started doing the drills. Last March I made it the HSS to get my boots aligned and I took a lesson from Rich. Now I'm working to put it all together.

I got the book 3 days after skiing with Mason and Carl at Perfect. I have video from that day and I also have video from last March at Vail to compare to. Plus I have the notes from my lesson with Rich, so I have a list to work on. For me, it's to get the sequencing better at transition and eliminating the up move. Bottom line, the new video showed I had made some progress, but I also have work to do. Reading the book put things into a new light.

This last weekend I went skiing again. Conditions weren't great, spring conditions w/ mashed potatoes and mainly I worked on transitions. Fortunately the hill was not crowded, just a few diehards, and I could check my tracks while riding the lifts. Rich taught me what to look for in the ski tracks at transition last March. I could see I was getting stuck, stepping off old stance ski instead of releasing the ski and tipping. So I tried being more aggressive releasing the old stance foot and tipping. At that point I felt like I was getting a slight pivot into the new turn. I think I was holding on to my counter acting into transition and I was rotating the skis into the fall line before I could engage the edges. That took a few turns to straighten out (drill on p56); however, I noticed I was really flying down the hill even on an easy, flat run. This was the ah-ha! When I increased my tipping through the whole turn and kept the stance leg extended, the speed control came back and could see the difference in the sequencing at transition in the tracks I left in the snow. I wish I had video of that skiing. :wink:

The epiphany was how much energy I was losing in transition with incorrect sequencing and also how important increasing tipping through the turn was in controlling turn shape and speed. I'm ready to get out and work on this more. All we need now is more snow. (or cold weather to make snow) :(
SrMike

Postby onyxjl » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:12 pm

Just got my copy today and have to say it is excellent. The photo illustrations complement the descriptions perfectly. I will be recommending this book to everyone I know who wants to become a better skier. The concepts of every PMTS ski lesson I have taken are all in there. With this book, a video camera and an internet connection anyone really can become an expert skier even if they can't get live PMTS instruction.

Kudos on a job well done to everyone at Harb Ski Systems.
onyxjl

Postby dewdman42 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:47 pm

Hot dang, my copy from Amazon is finally here today too. I'm off to run some errands, but I will be reading large portions of this book tonight. I've spent about 15 minutes perusing and watching the DVD. I really like the video production quality and content. I wish it was longer. Really looking forward to more podcasts or whatever you're going to do Harald. I'm also thrilled TO DEATH to see all the exercises that you put in this book. This should be required reading for all ski instructors and coaches.
dewdman42

Postby Arkady » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:32 am

I have got the book and already paged through most of it. So many useful drills and exercises - I wish I had it in Summer for off-snow drills.

It all makes perfect sense and the structure is beautiful - all essentials are here to learn. I will work with the book a lot until I have a chance to get to a PMTS camp. Unfortunately, it is not easy to get PMTS instruction in Minnesota, but the book helps!
Arkady

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System