New Book

PMTS Forum

Postby Harald » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:53 pm

I'd be gald and it is my pleasure to sign all the copies going out of our shop.
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Postby NoCleverName » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:02 pm

Harald wrote:I'd be glad and it is my pleasure to sign all the copies going out of our shop.

Hopefully, you'll be getting writer's cramps. :wink:
NoCleverName

Postby Harald » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:20 pm

Thanks, NCN it's already looking that way.
Harald

Postby SLAVA » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:01 pm

Harald,

I have 2 books coming from amazon .( whenever they will be avalble) i will get another 2 from you if you have any left plz .let me know
can' wait any longer

:roll:
DOCENDO DISCIMUS.
SLAVA

Postby NoCleverName » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:42 pm

It's a triumph.

Just paged thru the new book to see what and how it covered skiing. The layout is very nice, open and inviting. Excellant photos and artwork.

The conceptulization of breaking the sport down into individual elements that are "real" and can be learned one at a time is outstanding. In other words, there's a point to everything, not just mindless drills to be unified later.

I'm particularly heartened by the way you have dealt with the difference between PMTS and other methods. You acknowledge controversy without rancor, and you logically compare and contrast. There is nothing in this book a critic can go after except the method itself.

This book has exceeded my expectations, and I had high ones. You've raised the bar with this one.

I'll just get out'a the way now and let the rest of the well-deserved compliments pour in.
NoCleverName

Postby Harald » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:19 pm

Thank you NCN, I truely value your evaluation of the book. I also value the honest comments made by the reviewers and comments in the book and on the cover. For those who don't know him, Thor Kallerud is one, if not the best US Ski Team coache of all time.
Harald

Postby Mac » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:05 am

I'll second NCN's accessment. No need to rehash something I couldn't have said any better myself.
Mac

Postby bejes » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:20 am

Hopefully Amazon get their act together and get them sent soon!
Anyone skiing in Fernie in Jan?
PMTS: Green
bejes

Postby patprof » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:14 pm

As posted elsewhere-my copy of Harald's new book arrived yesterday. After over six hours, I completed my first read of it. Since starting skiing again at age 63, I have read literally every book on skiing that I could get my hands on. Without a shadow of doubt this book is destined to be a classic! So much cutting edge info, so many great photo montages, so many great exercises. Harald's old motto was: "Balance the body-move the feet first" Now I really understand that. His new motto is: Maximum skiing, minimum B.S." There is no "fluff in this book. Can't wait for it to start snowing here in the East-so that I can start practising what I've learned. Buy this book-it will be the best 20 bucks you ever spent!!
Brilliant job Harald (and Diana too, I suspect) :D :D :D
"I can't dance and I can't fly-but when I ski I can sometimes do both!"
Author Unknown
patprof

Postby Harald » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:59 pm

Thanks Patprof, I really apprecaite your comments and you taking the time to post about the book. We'll have to get all the book readers together for a group ski some day soon.
Harald

Postby fredm8 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:38 pm

Just got confirmation that my copy has shipped from the local warehouse downunder.
Cant wait to devour it before flying to Colorado & meeting Harald & crew.
Douglas

From the land of the long white cloud, a land down under.
fredm8

On the way from Amazon!

Postby Magyar » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:44 pm

I just got an email from Amazon saying the "Essentials of Skiing" has been shipped. Woo Hoo!
Magyar

New Book

Postby Bob » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:01 pm

Same here, Magyar.....I'm grinning from ear to ear!! :D
Laugh in the sunshine....sleep in the stars.
Bob

Postby Sidecut » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:45 pm

SCSA wrote:The new book, "3", is a crown jewel.

I see there's a thread on epic questioning whether or not carving is too much of an emphasis now. Learn to ski on the 500$ part of the ski, not, the 50$ part.

I've had the book for about a week now and it's excellent. It's laid out well and teh descriptions and photos are excellent.

As for Epic, I haven't read th thread. Let me say that I would take Haralds approach and say that it's not just about carving. It's about the tail following the tip. That is something you want to do on every turn in all conditions. Why can't intermediates ski variable conditions? It's because the tail is pushed out and doesn't follow the tip.
Sidecut

Postby Harald » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:17 pm

Right on Sidecut!!! You can still ski PMTS correctly without carving, as long as you follow the mm rule in my other post. The only reason the tails go up hill is because there is an extension at the end of the turn.

And the PSIA boys don't have to worry too much about the over emphasis on Carving, as they have not figured out how to do it yet. If anything they need more emphasis on figuring out how to Carve.

It is so typical of PSIA to put the good things about good skiing down. PSIA doesn't get Carving, understand it and can't do it, using their technique. So their answer is to put it down. They have been doing that with good skiing movements for decades.

I don't understand why anyone would want to know or hear what they have to say in the first place. Most of it duplicitous, borrowed and regurgitated, incorrectly.
Harald

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System