Upside Down - a defining moment?

PMTS Forum

Postby Harald » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:15 pm

My normal stance with is six to eight inches, which is about the width of my pelvis between the heads of the femoral balls. Many instructors tell people to stand shoulder width, this is too wide, as it exaggerates the horizontal distance beyond parallel vertical lag stance, (foot width relative to hips).

The Phantom Move is the act of releasing, by either lifting or flexing to flatten the stance ski and results in the body moving toward the new turn. Racing is all about using the Phantom Move, those who don?t know how to use it are at a disadvantage, in slalom especially.
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Postby codyblank » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:13 pm

I cant wait for your new book. I have the other two and they have been very useful. I also have Lito's 3rd DVD, I like it also. Very informative. Thanks Harald.
codyblank

Postby Icanski » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:42 am

Thanks, Harald. I'll keep that in mind as I practice, feet below the femoral heads, not necessarily touching.
I was looking at the SKI magazine issue where Stu Campbell does his "ski anything" column, and was not surprised to see the drastic differences in his stance between the wider-than-hips for the groomers, and the glued together for the "forget about carving in bumps" section. They always talk about "pointing" the skis where you want them to go. Tell that to a 12 year old and see what they do... "How do I point them?" is their answer. I'd love to see SKI feature some "alternative" ski instructors, like you, the DesLauriers, Lito, rather than the same old biased stuff...

Soon we'll have our PD day for CSIA, I'm interested to see if they've changed anything from last year. They have revamped the graphics of what the basics of skiing are: but still use the same elements: stance and balance with timing and coordination as foundations, then edging, pressure control and pivoting as the steering skills. I'll let you know if they're changing anything...though I don't think so.
I'm rambling,
thanks for the clarification.
I got a note from the Head rep that my Supershapes are here: Yahoo!!
now...for the boots.....
John
Icanski

upside down

Postby fisherskionsnow » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:19 pm

thanks for the information. 2 more weeks before I'LL be on snow. But I have been doing some dry land training. I appreciate the check list from Max_501. Being in balance and staying in balance is so important when you change your edges in the transition, plus timing when you start CB in the transition. These are movements I need to focus on. Plus all the movements.
Kenneth j. Fisher
fisherskionsnow

Postby Harald » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:05 pm

Icanski,

I think we have come to a point where we just have to accept the fact that CSIA and PSIA are not trying to ski or teach the way skiers want to learn. Most skiers are not well enough informed to realize this, but the ones that do, readily admit it.

PMTS, is neither CSIA or PSIA or any other TTS. PMTS is a different way to approach skiing and skiing performance. If you want to become a performance oriented skier or if you want to become an expert skier directly or more quickly, then PMTS is the way. TTS systems involve a long drawn out approach that has numerous land mines and dead-end maneuvers built into them, that are very hard to reverse.

So the days of trying to compare the systems are gone. Those that know both systems well, understand this.

The only ones that do truly know the systems are skiers that have devoted themselves to learning skiing with both methods. This really narrows the field, as PSIA instructors don?t know PMTS, so they have no business getting involved in the discussion.

That?s why I don?t bother to go to Epic, it?s a waste of time. It?s like talking to someone who has only bought Fords and can think of Ford as the only manufacturer of vehicles in the world. And they won?t step into another manufacture?s product and try it. You can?t relate to someone like that.
Harald

Postby Harald » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:36 pm

Up-side-down
Harald

Postby Icanski » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:31 pm

[quote="Harald"]I must bare some of the responsibility for not making it clearer that this counter balancing (CB) thing needs to happen before you get to the other side of the skis....With CB before the arc you can commit much farther to the inside of the new arc. Without CB you end up on the inside ski or on your hip, if you have a narrow stance.

Harald,
I want to make sure I understand this. We're still going up the kinetic chain as we make the transition, but the CB is happening before our upper body (CM center of Mass to borrow another term) has come across to the inside of the skis. The committing further to the inside of the arc happens as the turn develops and the upperbody moves inside the turn as we flex and drop the hip.

It's the sequencing I'm trying to understand when I do it statically on the board. I don't want to get a bad habit started.
thanks,
John
Icanski

Postby Harald » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:58 pm

Yes to everything, feet first which is kinetic chain. Tipping to flat, while preparing to CB, is the sequence.
Harald

Postby Max_501 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:29 pm

Harald wrote:Yes to everything, feet first which is kinetic chain. Tipping to flat, while preparing to CB, is the sequence.

The "jump and change edges" drill helped me to get the sequence right (because when you don't do it correctly you can't land properly).

The following is taken from the PMTS Race Camp Refresher thread:

Another drill for patience and counter is the "jump and change edges" drill. While heading across the hill we would jump into the air and change our edges without turning the skis (most of us turned the skis when we first tried to do this). You must land with the skis going in the same direction but on the opposite edges. To do this I needed enough counter or I would fall when I landed on the new edges. Its a great test for counter and teaches you how to be patient when you are upside down and allowing the skis to take you into the new turn.
Max_501

Postby Icanski » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:36 am

Thanks, Harald and Max,
That sounds like a good drill. Starting on a very gentle slope, I would think. :wink:
regards,
John
Icanski

Postby Max_501 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:25 pm

Icanski wrote:Starting on a very gentle slope, I would think. :wink:

Correct, you need very little slope for this drill. You do the jump while traversing across the hill.
Max_501

Postby Icanski » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:10 pm

Thanks, Max. As soon as we get some snow, I'm on it.
We have our resort's dry land training tomorrow. It's been in the 40s the last few days but earlier in the week it was in the 50s and raining...but there's no climate change going on, nope, the glaciers aren't receding because of it either...in another ten years you'll all have to come to Canada to find snow, and it'll be in the Yukon.
I'm looking forward to getting out there and doing some drills, in the meantime it's indoor skiing, plyometrics and such.
Tomorrow I also get to pick up my new Supershapes. I'm very happy about that.
John
Icanski

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System