PSIA is starting to accept the PMTS?!

PMTS Forum

Postby Pierre » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:16 pm

HH wrote:Pierre, so what you are saying is that the emperior has no clothes and no one is going to tell him.
Ah yah more or less. I don't see him making any headway at all.

Don't worry about Paul. We go back a ways and I have skied with him before.
Pierre

Why does it have to be either/or?

Postby VailInstructor » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:52 am

I believe that most instruction is contingency based. You teach the way the students want to learn. And, the fact is that there is more than one effective way of teaching someone to ski.

For some, it is two-legged steering, for others is is a dominant stance foot. There is no reason that both can't work. Both CAN work. Just as teaching a 6-yr old to read you can go the traditional route or you can go the "hooked on phonics" method. Fact is, both work.

The enlightened instructors don't dismiss something just because it's not officially sanctioned. We adopt everything that works because the ulitmate arbitor is the CLIENT, not other ski instructors from different camps.

That being said, I still don't understand from a physics point of view how you can make a turn with a turning radius less than the turning radius described by the shape of the ski, without steering. I just don't get it.

Thanks,

VI
VailInstructor

Postby -- SCSA » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:26 am

:idea:
I'm going to Anger Management class. The first one is in 2 weeks.

I'm serious! :)

I'm not posting anymore until I go to a few classes, get some momentum goin.

....so there! :wink:
-- SCSA

Postby HH » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:14 am

There are numerous way you can carve a turn (radius) shorter than the shape of the posted side cut. It used to be done on straight skis to some degree. There is considerable disscussion about this topic on another thread on this forum. Pressure and leverage on different parts of the ski corresponding to the point of the turn, is the most successful approach.
HH

Postby jclayton » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:26 am

SCSA,
gonna get your yin and yang together eh !! My guess is your bark is worse than your bite and deep down you're as gentle as a big ol' bear ( teddy ) .
How about mellowing out and telling us your "Ski Story " on the other thread , I've got a nice big mug of coffee ready .
J.C.
J.C.
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby Ott Gangl » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:25 pm

Hi SCSA, I signed up here just to tell you how much you are missed in the "other forum".

FYI all, Paul is the nicest guy in person, interesting and funny, it's just when he gets on his keybord which surely is possed by the devil that he comes across explosively.

And thanks, HH, to finally being able to talk to you directly. I'm an old timer like you and learned to ski and teach long before there was a PMTS. Skiing constantly evolves and often goes in circles.

....Ott
Ott Gangl

Postby HH » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:26 pm

Otto, welcome to our PMTS forum! SCSA is a great guy and we are good friends. He is the most enthuastic skier I know. He rips!!
HH

Postby Pierre » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:30 am

I don't think of SCSA as a loveable teddy bear. More like the loveable Pink Panther. :D
Pierre

Postby -- SCSA » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:44 am

Hi Ott,

Hey thanks you guys. I really miss you guys!

Kiss kiss!
-- SCSA

Postby jclayton » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:12 am

Hey , I remember Ott Gangl from a couple of excursions into Epic and his famous " how to stop a runaway female skier technique " .
J.C.
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System