Balance and Flexibility

PMTS Forum

Balance and Flexibility

Postby Max_501 » Wed May 17, 2006 10:57 am

Two key components of expert skiing are balance and flexibility. The good news is that you can work on these when you are not on the hill. If you don't have a copy of Ski Flex you might want to pick one up.

I like to stretch at least 2x per day all year long. In addition I use my staircase to simulate deep angles starting from the 3rd stair up and moving down to the bottom stair. I started with the staircase early this season and it helped in my ability to drop my hips into a turn while keeping a relatively upright upper body.

Some devices to consider are a 16" Wobble Board, Bongo Board, the 8Board, and Harb Carvers.

A Skier's Edge is a good training tool for balance especially if you have the slope simulator attachmentand its good training for flexing and tipping. It also gives you an aerobic workout and works your ski leg muscles.

HH has also mentioned biking as a great off season supplement to skiing.
Max_501

Postby patprof » Thu May 18, 2006 4:55 am

Max
Would you go into a little more detail on how you use a staircase to replicate deep angle turns?
Thanks
patprof

stair use

Postby midwif » Thu May 18, 2006 7:40 pm

Me too! Didn't quite understand the stair application. I am making a concerted effort to do more exercise that I find tolerable and will assist my skiing. Got some biking going on, some running, even added an old favorite, swimming (doing a sprint distance triathlon this weekend to welcome myself to a new decade) :shock: . I have been doing some step ups in the gym to strengthen the muscles around my aching knees. Am intrigued by what you mention, but don't describe. Please share!
Though I find yoga classes great for working on balancing! (when I find the time)
Thxs, Lynn
midwif

Postby milesb » Fri May 19, 2006 9:23 am

Uh, Max didn't say anything about turns. Maybe this should be moved to another section? :D
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

turnz

Postby midwif » Fri May 19, 2006 9:37 am

Don't some staircases have turns? :lol:
midwif

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System