Real skiers?

PMTS Forum

Real skiers?

Postby -- SCSA » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:25 am

I'm having an identity crisis, help me out here.

I have some questions. Now granted, I been up at the Pillionaire Ranch, hanging out on horses and what not, so something could have come loose. :P

What's a real skier? :? I mean, if you're a skier, doesn't that by default make you real? How could you be a skier, and not be real? Then, if someone comes up to you and says, "Wait. You're not a real skier! You're one of those other guys!", what does that make you? What do you say?

"You're right, I'm an imposter. The real real skier will be here in just a minute."

"Okay, I'm an alien. I was just trying to hang out as long as possible, before someone noticed."

"Dude. I'm really a snowboarder. But someone gave me a free ticket, so I was like, kewl!"

"No, you're right. I'm not a real skier, I'm a gaper. What took you so long to figure that out? Couldn't you tell, by my wedging?"

I guess I could go up to people and say, "Hi there. My name is SCSA. I'm a real skier."

But I dunno. That sounds like something I used to say in the late 70's, at singles bars. It didn't work then, I don't think it'll work now. :P

I guess I'll just have to go along, telling people I'm a..."bleep itty bleep." :wink:

Signed,
???
-- SCSA

Postby nick » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:29 am

I would say replace real with core. I'm a core skier. I'm interested in the core aspects of what completes the skiing experience. For me that would include but not be limited to:

mechanics
style
ritual
preparation
care and feeding of gear
keeping up with "what's changing"
nick

Postby jclayton » Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:13 pm

I guess there are lots of people who can't really ski and many others who can ski really well and some who are unreal skiers . I know a lot of skiers of all different levels who pretend a lot ( especially in bars ). Perhaps " Honest Skiers " would be an appropriate label , apples is apples ( with core of course ) .
J.C.
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby milesb » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:05 pm

I'm keeping it real and representing.
milesb

Not to worry, SCSA

Postby JimR » Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:46 pm

SCSA

Not to worry, your identity crisis is solved. What you don't realize is that everyone is "real" something. Some are real bikers, some are real golfers, some are real rich or real poor (maybe more attitude than financial bottom line), some of real crazy, some are real deluded, some are real sailors, some might even be real funny.

The thing that you don't realize is that there aren't any "real" judges. There are courtroom judges, but they don't judge reality, they only judge the country's laws. Noone else is capable of judging your "real"ness, so you can be real anything you want. There are those (such as psychiatrists) who might try to make you question your "real"ness, but most of them can't rip like you indicate you can, so just ignore their opinions. They mostly aren't real anything.

So, the only problem you face is deciding for yourself what you are real at. You could be a "real sker" or "real funny" but something tells me that you are mostly "real bored." :roll:
JimR

If not "real" then "unreal"

Postby JimR » Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:52 pm

It's clear to me that real is a binary word. Either you are or you aren't.

Therefore, if you classify yourself as a real skier, that's not all bad.

However, if someone convinces you that you're not a real skier, then that makes you an "unreal" skier, also not such a bad place to be.

So, although the identify crisis may continue, deciding between being a "real skier" and an "unreal skier" isn't so bad. Looks to me like a win-win situation.
JimR

Postby BigE » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:17 am

I'd say I'm a skier, and give the label "hard core", if pushed.

Hard core skier -- says it all....
BigE

Postby -- SCSA » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:48 pm

This was one of those threads that started off terrible, then never got any better.

What a louzy thread.

Gong! :P
-- SCSA

Ok - I'll give it a try

Postby John Mason » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:36 am

A real skier - perhaps especially in the context of this forum is:

A person that turns their ski's by using inside ski tipping rather than even a hint of leg steering.

This means even a beginner can be a real skier as long as they are on the correct path and not wasting a lot of time on leg steering techniques.

Hows that?
John Mason

Postby Hobbit » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:55 am

That was a punch after the gong :D
Hobbit
Site Admin

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System