Anonymous Posts

PMTS Forum

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:19 am

Hunter wrote:I think you are over reacting, the Guest function is designed to encourage people to give it a try before you buy type thing, many people are not used to forums like these and so feel their way through the portal where registering is not required, sure you will get some plonkers who will just stir the s. but if they go unanswered they fade away, but don't mix Guest and critical feedback and = stirer, even though they may not have registered they may well still have a point.
You can isolate the guest feature to another sub forum like Q+A this way they can be controlled/encouraged to the side so to speak.

I agree with this post as I, too, think you guys are over reacting. For the record, I'm not the guest who has been sparring with HH regarding the PSIA vs PMTS issue. My one topic so far has been posting the question regarding the conditions at Vail and I'm sorry if my lack of identity has caused any problems. As soon as I figure this thing out, I'll register and post with a name. In the meantime, I'd appreciate if you all would cut some of us new people a break.

I'm not saying that I agree with everything that I read here (or anywhere for that manner). But when I do disagree, I'll post my thoughts in a civil and respectful manner. I think that's all you can ask.

Postby Hunter » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:23 pm

What is also needed here is a strong but fair moderator, moderation of these sites will spell either the success of failure of the forums, the moderator should also be seperate from the owner/admin as well.
Hunter

Postby BigE » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:25 am

Posting without logging in is a real problem for two reasons:

1) Guest can be a blamethrower in hiding.

2) Guest can be a supporter, who already has a registered account!

This means that a Guest posting "Gee that's a nice post, you guys are so with it!" has as much merit as one that says "BAH humbug! That's all bogus nonsense!" The supportive "guest" comment may even have less merit, since support is a good thing to have. I'm not suggesting this hoodwinking is happening, but it can happen, due to the existence of the Guest account.

If it's up for a vote, I'd say ONLY registered individuals can post. It will help clear the air.

People will get their passwords sent in the mail. Of course that just means one can have as many bulletin board personas as one has mailboxes, but that one really can't be solved in a reasonable way.

my 2 cents.
BigE

Postby piggyslayer » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:43 am

We have now a registered user with name "Guest".
So it will become even more interesting...

My biggest issue with these posts is that they effectively kill technical discussion. After the venom is injected into a thread the technical discussion ends. Many good threads with excellent discussion and learning have been killed like that (for example thread on non-pure carving/speed control on ice or thread by Harald on when to relax).
I wish we will find a way to continue meaningful discussions without getting sidetracked.
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby BigE » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:59 am

piggyslayer wrote:We have now a registered user with name "Guest".
So it will become even more interesting...

My biggest issue with these posts is that they effectively kill technical discussion. After the venom is injected into a thread the technical discussion ends. Many good threads with excellent discussion and learning have been killed like that (for example thread on non-pure carving/speed control on ice or thread by Harald on when to relax).
I wish we will find a way to continue meaningful discussions without getting sidetracked.

You can tell the real acct, because there is additional info about the poster. The true guest is blank under the guest name.

I agree that the name calling is appalling, which makes a moderator and loss of the guest acct a good idea.

My gripe with a guest account, is that the credibility of the post is suspect even when it's supportive! Guest posted this:

Herald

You are right on all accounts. Good post!!

Just who posted it? Why? ( Incidentally, it's from the DIN settings thread, and the "Good post" it refers to is actually entirely wrong!)

Unfortunately, I posted the DIN chart but failed to login, which make the post look venomous, while it's not.
BigE

It's kinda a mess

Postby John Mason » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:50 pm

Harold never logs in

SCSA never logs in

When people don't log in you can't see a history of their posts, which is always helpful when trying to understand a persons point of view before responding.

and - the login in function seems to be a bit broken. You have to do it multiple times till you set auto login on. (which then breaks whenever you clear you cookies then you have to log in multiple times again)

Need to move this, tweak it, add some categories, take the "reference posts" and move them to their own category. I guess I'm saying it needs to be run more like the EPIC board (which is a very well run board). It can still have it's PMTS focus of course.

I'll volenteer if people want. I have a static IP with 768 up down and a web server with the PHP and MYsql already in place and I'm familar with this free PHP based forum software as we use the same software for our corporate forum needs.

Not huge bandwidth but absolutly plenty for a forum with this level of activity.
John Mason

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System