PMTS Forum

Re: Long out side leg? How?

Postby Mikey B » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:21 am

Again, Thank you Max!
Mikey B

Postby h.harb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:30 am

Bolter quote:
Oh no. Please believe me, there is pull back in efficient correct skiing. IMO you should stay away from WC analysis and work on the essentials with blind faith in your own skiing for a minimum period of two years before you ever again type another word.
Wait, you can watch WC but shut off your mind, gape your mouth and look for the essential movements, don't search for exceptions and confuse yourself with the complexities.
Come on, practice the essentials, teach them, look for them, immerse yourself in them. Stop already.
I am not trying to be mean, it just sounds that way.

I think I said he should do this two years ago, Are you guys finally frustrated with TDK, because he doesn't understand "real" skiing. Let alone skiing at the WC level. It's amazing, a guy who can't do a flex release, or CB, is analyzing a WC skier and telling you guys, "he's right" and you what you are all seeing it wrong. Come on TDK, you are fooling no one. You need to learn the basic movements, and they are not in the WC montage you are analyzing. He can't understand the forces and the connection from one photo to the other. Those photos are one on top of the other, you are looking at each frame as if there was a time lag between them. Those are photos with 10 frames per second. That means that transition should be printed with the individual frames on top of each other. This means that the pull back is constant, it's part of the release and transition. Remember back to the thread when Reilly was comparing my flexing to Grandi's? Remember when I stated he selected situations totally out of context, to suit his point of view, this is easy to do in skiing, to fool the public. Notice any vertical extension in Svindal? None, he is retracting in transition. Does anyone get as low as Svindal, yes HH does. But according to TTS types this is bad and not done by the WC skiers. I posted about his skiing in November I think, when I said he was the best skier not Austrian? My point at that time was Svindal is changing GS skiing and making it like Slalom releases. You have to be very strong with flexing to do this. He's really controlling forces in his flexing. That's the negative contraction, like the down movement in squats.
Concentric contraction,
a common form of muscle contraction that occurs in rhythmic activities when the muscle fibers shorten as tension develops.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:39 am

Hey TDK post some recent skiing. Maybe I'm wrong, but your last skiing post was "A" frame transitions, extension (from big toe knee drive) , no release and lots upper body rotation. Maybe I'm wrong, but someone who skis like that, has no business telling others what's right or wrong about world cup skiing. (example Ron LeMaster, but he skis with less energy than you, because he's steering and pivoting. And if you think Essentials in the best book in skiing why don't you try to learn what it says and shows, before you post the opposite?
h.harb

Postby Bolter » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:34 pm

Here are photos of me trying to pull back both feet during transition/float and continious pull back of inside foot.

http://www.visitcanaan.com/jr/ski/02.jpg
http://www.visitcanaan.com/jr/ski/03.jpg
http://www.visitcanaan.com/jr/ski/04.jpg

http://www.visitcanaan.com/jr/ski/100.jpg

If anyone can post these here please do or tell me how.

The red coat skiing is on 23m 183cm WC Elan GS
The green and black coat is on 16m cheeter GS

JR
Bolter

Postby Bolter » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:47 pm

tdk6 wrote:LOL bolter... have you noting better to nag about quit posting. And just for clarity, show some video of yourself pulling your feet back underneath your hips while knees are flexed 90deg and you are in the air at transition before you continue posting your BS.

I am a nag when it comes to dealing with redundant gibberish from you.
Look at Harald's avatar- in the air and pulled back at 90deg. What is he pulling back against? Resistance from you probably.
Bolter

Postby ToddW » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:41 pm

h.harb wrote:Hey TDK post some recent skiing. Maybe I'm wrong, but your last skiing post was "A" frame transitions, extension (from big toe knee drive) , no release and lots upper body rotation...

2 recent tdk6 videos are available on epic in the 'Ski Technique & Analysis' subforum in thread 'Carving MA: SL turns at the end of the day (video)' started by tdk6 in Feb, 2009. See posts 1 (freeskiing) and 21 (gates) for video.
ToddW

Postby h.harb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:10 pm

This is poor quality because it's a video frame, but it shows the open hip and holding the ski back.
h.harb

Postby tdk6 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:17 pm

Bolter wrote:
tdk6 wrote:LOL bolter... have you noting better to nag about quit posting. And just for clarity, show some video of yourself pulling your feet back underneath your hips while knees are flexed 90deg and you are in the air at transition before you continue posting your BS.

I am a nag when it comes to dealing with redundant gibberish from you.
Look at Harald's avatar- in the air and pulled back at 90deg. What is he pulling back against? Resistance from you probably.

Nice photos Bolter but you certainly are a nag. Your photos reveal just what I have been trying to explain. At transition when your legs are flexed 90deg your hips are way way back. You are virtually sitting on a chair and there is very little ancle flex. Offcourse there is. Less than if you were standing on snow and putting pressure on the shins.

http://www.visitcanaan.com/jr/ski/03.jpg

Look at frame 4. Anyway, that is not a bad thing. Thats the whole point of doing a retraction turn. You lift your stance ski up to match the flex of the inside ski. This is a float. Just like HH when he is up in the air. What you guys are suggesting is that HHs feet would be located under his hips. They are not. They are forwards. Thats perfectly in order. Thats the whole point of flexing your feet. Thats why you need to pull them back once you regain pressure.
tdk6

Postby Bolter » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:33 pm

I have proved your point? Man, I don't even know what your point is or what you are trying to explain, I am lost.
Bolter

Postby Max_501 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:37 pm

tdk6 wrote:What you guys are suggesting is that HHs feet would be located under his hips. They are not. They are forwards. Thats perfectly in order. Thats the whole point of flexing your feet. Thats why you need to pull them back once you regain pressure.

You need to pull back BEFORE you regain pressure, otherwise you'll be too late and start the turn too far back.
Max_501

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:42 pm

I'm amazed that there are now 6 pages on such a simple topic... one that was explained in full by the end of page 1...

I think the new lingo for this these days is an Epic FAIL. Ironic... no? :wink:
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:53 pm

I was afraid of this, we have turned into EpicSki, I need to unload some posters here. Any suggestions?
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:59 pm

h.harb wrote:Any suggestions?

I think the thread has run it's course. Perhaps it would be best closed?
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby BigE » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:46 pm

TDK6, this is perhaps the clearest example:

http://www.visitcanaan.com/jr/ski/04.jpg

If you don't get it from these shots, you simply have no idea about what it is.
BigE

Postby h.harb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:39 pm

Here is the difference between Bolter and TDK, I'm going to give Bolter advice and he's gong to do out and work on improving it. TDK will argue he doesn't have to do it because it's not what he needs to do..

Bolter, if you begin releasing (tipping off the edges) before you sink as low (hips going down, getting low, too much too early) as you did in the photo sequence, you'll get more transition power..
h.harb

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System