Arapahoe Basin Opening Day

PMTS Forum

Re: Arapahoe Basin Opening Day

Postby HighAngles » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:31 pm

Well my results are in. The good news is that there aren't any problems with the ligaments or menisci. The diagnosis is chondromalacia AKA torn cartilage in my knee. I have grade 3 tears and flaps that are causing my knee the pain (it locks, grinds, and otherwise feels horrible). The MRI also revealed that I'm dealing with lots of "left-over" issues from my original leg injury (I have an IM rod still in my tibia and some screws). Those left-overs include lots of detritus and even old sutures still floating around in my knee.

They gave me a cortisone shot and I have scheduled PT to hopefully improve my knee cap tracking. We also discussed something called "McConnell" taping to help reduce the pain (I think it's like KT tape). The doc recommends scoping my knee, but I explained that I have ski camp in a bit over a week and I really want to attempt to get through camp. So we're thinking I'll probably have the surgery sometime in early December. He wants to "clean" out my knee and that will hopefully reduce the irritation that's causing the pain. Recovery will take a couple weeks, but I should be in good shape by the holidays.

So my plan of attack is to rest my knee (ice and elevation to keep the swelling down), ibuprofen/naproxen to manage any inflammation and pain, and physical therapy to hopefully figure out a way to tape my knee to control the knee cap tracking and reduce the pain. Needless to say that this has definitely sidetracked my physical preparation and getting some snow time in before camp.
HighAngles

Postby jbotti » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:16 pm

HighAngles wrote: Needless to say that this has definitely sidetracked my physical preparation and getting some snow time in before camp.

Not to worry. Other than a few locals, I would guess that the majority of us at camp will be skiing our first time this year.

You should return pretty fast from the scope and hopefully with all the pain and discomfort behind you!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:00 pm

Don't worry, we won't stress you physically, build up slowly and see how everything feels. The first day or so will really tax your situation, but that's normal, possibly the third and fourth day could be your best physically . you might want to take the afternoons off on day one and two.
h.harb

Postby Ken » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:53 pm

h.harb wrote:Someone will invent a rear view, backup, look, system in the goggle, it could save your life. There is such an amazing disconnect between skiers and straight runners. Yesterday at Loveland, many skiers were carving on slalom skis, there is one run open and everyone is on it. However the straight run guys, no women that I saw, are shooting straight down between everyone, it's just stupid. Of course they are on wide, turned up rocker skis, I hate what the ski industry has done to skiing.

The regional area I used to ski at, Crystal Mountain, not only did nothing I ever saw about straight liners in the groomed area, but also in their annual snowboard off-piste competition allowed an event for straight lining. This just encourages the fools, both snowboarders and skiers, to straight line anywhere.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby seskelson » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:28 am

Well, guys, at the smaller area where I regularly patrol at near Idaho Falls, as well as Traghee, and others in the Intermountain region where we do training and testing --we are a bit old school. I can-- I have done so -- and I will do it again--- throw straight liners off the mountain -- and our mountain management backs us to the hilt on that one. They are dangerous.
seskelson

Postby A.L.E » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:49 am

A PMTS skier makes more turns per run than any other skier............because we can. :mrgreen:

Straight lining is pretty much foreign to the majority of us.
A.L.E

Postby HighAngles » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:30 am

Straight lining is "just a waste of good snow". :wink:

Ran into HH and Diana over the weekend at LL. I'm hanging in there - between the cortisone shot, PT, and naproxen I'm thinking I'll be able to get through camp.

I'm trying to get my schedule lined up to get out to A-Basin on Wednesday or Thursday this week. Hopefully I'll be able to get some turns in with Geoffda and JMD before camp.
HighAngles

Postby JMD » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:24 am

HighAngles. Please come join us. We are out most weekday mornings and will be there next Monday Morning to meet up with any early campers.
JMD

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System