Video Advice

PMTS Forum

Re: Video Advice

Postby BobH » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:22 pm

Greg

Thanks for your help.

Where I'm actually getting hung-up is trying to copy ("rip") the video from the DVD to my hard drive.

I'll have to look to see if I have Movie Maker.

Thanks
BobH

Postby Max_501 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:00 pm

BobH wrote:Where I'm actually getting hung-up is trying to copy ("rip") the video from the DVD to my hard drive.

Bob, open up the DVD with windows explore and let us know what the name of the files on the DVD are.
Max_501

Postby BobH » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:34 pm

Max

Thanks for checking in. I'm on my way up to Sunday River for a few days. I'll have fresh video and will check in again over the weekend.

Thanks for the support
BobH

Postby MonsterMan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:16 pm

Bump

Re: Mono pod, steady cam counterweight from ski pole.

Does anyone know where I can get some spare Leki clips for my pole strap disconnect mechanism?

I envisage a quick connect, click in; click out camera mount.

Also, any tips on getting clearer and steadier video whilst standing on skis please.

Thanks

Geoff
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby Max_501 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:30 pm

Getting steady video while on skis is a challenge but doable. Make sure you get the skis solidly engaged in the snow with the skis facing perpendicular to the fall line. You have to be careful as your subject skis by not to slide the skis as you pan down the hill. Try to keep a quiet lower body during the panning. An optical image stabilizer built into the camera helps alot.
Max_501

Postby MonsterMan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:07 pm

Make sure you get the skis solidly engaged in the snow with the skis facing perpendicular to the fall line.

Do you think this is more stable than facing up the hill in a "herringbone" type stance?
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby Max_501 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:08 pm

Yes, I think so. Plus, for the best video you want to get turns from above and below.
Max_501

Postby tdk6 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:36 pm

My experiance with digital videocameras is negative. The only good part is that you can hook it up to a computer and drag the clips from the camera to your computer with your mouse and the left button. There it ends. Crappy quality. Anyway, digital MiniDV tape is the way to go. You need to manually record it to your computer but once you do that the you can do whatever the computer program allows. I use Sony Vegas and there is great demo version you can load from the Sony. When it comes to zooming you dont want to be zooming too much if your cameraman isnt very very good. Also, dont let the skier fill the whole screen, leave some room righ and left and let the skier swing back and forth on the screen insted. This is pritty good tactics now with the 16:9 format. Film from the front and if you can zoom out so that the skier remains same size for that pro moovie wibe. I like to stand with one ski across the slope and the other uphill. Then I tell the skier on which side he should pass. This is by far the best way to film IMO. Depending on the slope offcourse. The cameraman should leave his ski poles at the lift. Forget filming a little now and then, take a few hours and devote yourself to becomming holliwood stars. It pays off. Also, camera does not need slowmo. Your computer program has that feature.
tdk6

Postby Max_501 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:10 pm

tdk6 wrote:Also, dont let the skier fill the whole screen, leave some room righ and left and let the skier swing back and forth on the screen insted.

Doesn't it depend on what the goal is? If it is movement analysis I like to zoom in so the skier fills the whole screen.
Max_501

Postby MonsterMan » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:27 pm

The perfect Camera?

Nikon D90

The D90 is also notable for being the first DSLR to offer video recording, with the ability to record HD 720p videos, with mono sound, at 24 frames per second (for up to 5 minutes or 20 minutes for smaller videos).

Imagine this body with a 70-200mm f2.8 VR for movement analysis and changing lenses to a 10-24mm wide angle for scenery shots!

Too bad about the exchange rate at the moment or I'd get one for the next trip.
MonsterMan

Postby tdk6 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:59 am

Max_501 wrote:
tdk6 wrote:Also, dont let the skier fill the whole screen, leave some room righ and left and let the skier swing back and forth on the screen insted.

Doesn't it depend on what the goal is? If it is movement analysis I like to zoom in so the skier fills the whole screen.

Sure it depends on your goals but zooming out as the skier comes at you and following his every move and keep camera steady at the same time can be too much for strict amateurs. The new 16:9 format also leaves space horisontally on both sides if you fit the skier in the window vertically. IMHO offcourse. Also, if you want to have a steady shot remember that when you slow down the clip with a software it can be a great shot for MA even if its not steady at normal speed. For MA slowmotion is the best way to go anyway and the closer up you get the better. Even strict feet or skis shots can be the most interesting ones. One cool way of filming gate racing is to put your camera on a tripod and let the film roll while you and others ski the course as often as you want. This way you can overlap the videos on your computer and compare your runs to each others. Best is if you have a very good skier in your team that you can compare to. This way you can find out stuff like how far away from the gate you are skiing, counter balance, edge angles, overall inclination, tipping, arms, upper body, head, skipoles, knees, hips, relece etc. you name it. I have been experimenting also with filming myselfe while skiing. Using a fish eye lince and holding it up above and in front of me I can get a great veiw of my knees and skiis.
tdk6

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System