Tipping question (and encouragement is welcomed)

PMTS Forum

Tipping question (and encouragement is welcomed)

Postby Kaemmar » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:33 pm

Just looking for some thoughts to my random, but related comments…

First, I’ve really only skied about 10 times since discovering PMTS - I've read the books multiple times, have done some dryland and on the snow drills, and free skiing.

Understanding PMTS movements alone has helped me to discard so much of the garbage that I have heard from well-meaning friends, and have seen on the slopes and in videos. I can now easily spot so many flaws in others’ skiing habits, but that sure doesn’t mean I’ve got it all figured out.

Shortening my stance leg, initiating tipping with the inside leg, pulling back my inside leg, a better understanding of CB & CA have helped me to make much rounder turns with high C initiation, better control on steeper slopes and much more fluid, effortless skiing.

I’m skiing on 163 e-Originals (I’m 5’7”) and I do my best to wait for the skis to turn without any foot rotation.

I realize that without any MA video you can’t confirm or deny anything I’ve said so far, but I really don’t have anyone interested in seriously discussing these concepts. (I will try to get some appropriate video before the season is over.)

So, just a couple questions…

1) I know that a BPSRT is really more important (or practical) than a rail carved turn, but I do want to understand how you get the (very) high angles in a GS type turn. How much is speed a factor? Even if I make a sharp turn around a bend it seems that the turn is over before I really get up on my edges. (I also wonder if it’s because of a certain amount of anxiety about committing myself to that degree of tipping.)

2) Any thoughts about PMTS skiing on super hardpack? Out east we can get 10 inches of groomed powder followed by 40 degree temps and then it's back down to 15 degrees. It doesn't make for an ideal skiing surface.

Bottom line - I really wish I was asking these questions 15 years ago. 8) In any case, PMTS is definitely helping me to become a better skier today.
Kaemmar

Re: Tipping question (and encouragement is welcomed)

Postby njdiver85 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:51 pm

PM Sent
njdiver85

Postby mauricet101010 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:34 pm

Last year I had this exact question. I'm no expert at all, but one thing I realized I was not doing was not increasing the tipping angle during the turn. I expect 95% or more of skiers do not do this. Diana has a good video called tighten the radius of your turns that might be of interest. Having a higher tipping angle at the start of the turn after transition is another thing I expect.
Post a video and you are more likely to get expert advice.
mauricet101010

Postby njdiver85 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:36 am

To answer your first question, and assuming you have the essentials down, you may have to work on starting the movements earlier and doing the movements a little faster such that you get sufficient tipping and complete the turn by the time you are crossing the fall-line. And possibly you are trying to do all of this on a slope with too much pitch such that everything needs to happen faster, which can be difficult. Try and slow things down on a gentle pitch and see if that helps. All this does assume that you have the essentials, but without video, nobody can say for sure.

As to hardback, there is no change in the essentials, but any flaws will be more readily exposed.
njdiver85

Postby h.harb » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:06 am

Go to YouTube and watch my ski testing video, it has slow motion and stop frames to show exactly how it's done.
h.harb

Postby Kaemmar » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:48 am

Thanks Harald, will do... and thanks to everyone that replied.
Kaemmar

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System