Basic Question (Very)

PMTS Forum

Basic Question (Very)

Postby ssand » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:02 pm

During a turn, do you actively tip the stance ski or do you just actively tip the free ski and let the stance ski follow?
ssand

Re: Basic Question (Very)

Postby jbotti » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:21 am

The latter. The stance skis will always follow the level of tipping that occurs in the free ski, but vice versa does not happen. Those that focus on stance leg tipping, get skis that are tipped at different angles. When we get to really high edge angles in edge locked carves, the gating factor in how high the edge angles will go is the level of inside ski tipping which creates the space for the stance to go to higher edge angles.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Max_501 » Fri May 06, 2022 4:56 pm

Max_501

Postby h.harb » Mon May 16, 2022 2:46 pm

This is not rocket science. Always start tipping "first with the new inside ski", keep your feet together and your legs together, and move the outside ski or big toe edge with the inside leg and ski. Most skiers give up tipping the inside ski and leg, therefore their angle building stops.

h.harb

Postby mauricet101010 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:24 pm

It would be interesting if someone had 5 people each taking a photo standing well spaced out in an arc under the skiers curved path. This would allow the same front head on shot of the skier during the turn that I feel would allow a even more clearer view of the increased tipping.
mauricet101010

Postby Ken » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:57 pm

My tipping, especially beyond the initial stage, greatly improved when I had my right outside ankle bone area punched out in that boot. Before the punch my ankle bone went just so far and hit a sensitive point, and I couldn't (wouldn't) tip that side any farther. The left had no problem, but for some reason didn't want to tip much more than the right. I was making fairly equal left and right turns, but not complete turns. After the punch things got much better. I only needed my right side punched out, because--if your legs and feet are symmetrical, you're one in a million.

The lesson...set up your equipment to succeed. If some of your equipment is hindering your technique, fix it.

Tip, and tip more.
Flex the inside leg, and flex it more.
Pull the inside foot back, and pull it back more.
Tip, and tip earlier and more and pull back earlier and more to start a turn.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System