Suggestions how to remove extension of right leg

PMTS Forum

Suggestions how to remove extension of right leg

Postby skijim13 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:30 am

This year in camp I have been focusing on removing extension from my skiing during transition, the first key to this was to eliminate the tail lift go to a tip lift during release. I have been made improvements to eliminating the extension on the left leg during transition, but being right leg dominate still notice a slight extension in my right leg during transition. When I try to speed up the transition when doing short turns I notice it more in the videos.
skijim13

Re: Suggestions how to remove extension of right leg

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:15 am

Jim,
I removed the duplicate topic so all replies will come to this thread only.
Best,
Greg
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:42 am

Having seen a number of your recent videos, I don't think your choice of turn shape is doing you any favors. Bring your turns more into the fall line and the momentum won't stall. You then won't need the push off to get out of the turn.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby jbotti » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:58 am

I agree with Heluva. I will also say that I have spent countless hours, deeply flexing with both legs into every turn. If you do this for 25 ski days, some good percentage of the time you are skiing and practicing it will become second nature. As well, this is an essential part of any two footed transition, when flexing both knees some is essential (vs one footed transitions where only one leg needs to flex).

And those two footed transitions are essential in powder and other off piste conditions (bumps). I spent a lot of time working with Diana skiing easy bumps staying flexed and flexing with both knees deeply into every transition. Again, its not how we want to ski all the time, but if you practice this diligently, it will help rid you of the dreaded up move.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby skijim13 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:19 am

Thanks for the suggestions, will work with these.
skijim13

Postby l2ski » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:04 am

jbotti wrote:I agree with Heluva. I will also say that I have spent countless hours, deeply flexing with both legs into every turn. If you do this for 25 ski days, some good percentage of the time you are skiing and practicing it will become second nature. As well, this is an essential part of any two footed transition, when flexing both knees some is essential (vs one footed transitions where only one leg needs to flex).

And those two footed transitions are essential in powder and other off piste conditions (bumps). I spent a lot of time working with Diana skiing easy bumps staying flexed and flexing with both knees deeply into every transition. Again, its not how we want to ski all the time, but if you practice this diligently, it will help rid you of the dreaded up move.

Jim,

This is also one of my problems that it evident in the last videos that we took.

Since we have last skied together, I have been doing exactly what jbotti says above.
I have been working on flexing (deeply) with both legs to release, and continued
flexing until engagement. An additional focus is to hold CA until engagement.

Something that I additionally think about is
to keep the NEW free leg parallel to the new stance leg during the transition.
I feel like I'm pulling it up along the new stance leg while tipping it to LTE.
But I need to hold CA to do this to and get balanced on the uphill LTE. When on the
uphill LTE I still continue flexing until engagement.

I don't feel the up movement when I get it right and I feel my body crossing over the skies as the
skies continue with the arc. I do need to confirm with video.
l2ski

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System