green camp web cam

PMTS Forum

green camp web cam

Postby ToddW » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:04 pm

This morning, I watched the webcam at solvista where the green camp is being held. Many of the campers have only 4 half-days of exposure to PMTS at this point, and yet they stand out visually from the general skier population.

Kudos to the coaches and congratulations to the campers on their accomplishments. These campers are getting one of the best deals in skiing -- the best "top gun" instructors teaching the most efficient technique on an ideal learning slope for green/blue level skiers.
ToddW

Re: green camp web cam

Postby midwif » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:59 pm

Todd
Jim and I are going to have a sit -down with you and talk about
alternatives for your free time activities! :lol:

Oh, wait, did you see me skiing there on wednesday afternoon while taking a lesson with HH? :P

Lynn
midwif

Postby h.harb » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:29 pm

Lynn, Our private lessons together are secret! Don't tell them how you got so good.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:25 pm

Joking aside, Lynn has made amazing improvements, it's so rewarding watching PMTS skiers master the ski turn. It is a real ski turn one you can take anywhere you want to go. The other campers, were all asking me after the afternoon lesson with Lynn, who was that expert skier you were teaching. I nonchalantly told them she was a beginner camper here, 3 years before. Jaws were dropping.
h.harb

Postby ToddW » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:01 am

midwif wrote:Todd
Jim and I are going to have a sit -down with you and talk about
alternatives for your free time activities! :lol:

Oh, wait, did you see me skiing there on wednesday afternoon while taking a lesson with HH? :P

Lynn

Lynn,

I'm looking forward to seeing your new, improved skiing next weekend at Sugarbush. Try not to show me up too badly :)

But no, I didn't watch you ski ... I was looking for inspirational breakthroughs :mrgreen:

Actually, I was trying to catch a glimpse of two campers I know, wedge skiers both, to see if they were picking up this tipping thing. It helped liven up an otherwise boring meeting for me.

-Todd
ToddW

Postby midwif » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:18 am

Todd
So we're NOT talking about LEISURE time.
I see.
No wonder company profits are down. :lol:

Actually, I think most posting is done during the work day for many of us here.
WIth the exception of Harald.
midwif

Postby midwif » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:26 pm

h.harb wrote:Joking aside, Lynn has made amazing improvements, it's so rewarding watching PMTS skiers master the ski turn. It is a real ski turn one you can take anywhere you want to go. The other campers, were all asking me after the afternoon lesson with Lynn, who was that expert skier you were teaching. I nonchalantly told them she was a beginner camper here, 3 years before. Jaws were dropping.

Harald
As you know, I am far from expert, but it is gratifying and encouraging to see my improvement thru your eyes.
Your memory of my stumbling blocks (inability to tip initially, stiff upper body, no flexing etc) is remarkable.

The last 3 camps brought break throughs for me each time I have attended. The quality of your staff, the program content and ability to give individual feedback to each person has helped me (and many others) become a better skier.

Thanks again for a great lesson that afternoon and for making the time during a camp week
to work with me.

Lynn
midwif

Postby h.harb » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks, you are just beginning to realize your ability and it's a great journey. Glad to be part of it.
h.harb

Postby chris719 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:27 pm

Don't want to derail the thread but curious about the difference between the SolVista green/blue camps and the A-Basin blue/dark blue camps. Is someone who does not have a lot of PMTS experience (lots of TTS movements :( ) best served by the green camp, or is it more a preference thing because they are all split into groups based on ability?
chris719

Postby midwif » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:31 am

Chris
Based on my experience, I would vote for Solvista as your first setting. The slopes are empty of skiers mid-week and the gentle pitch allows you to really focus on getting the movements right without having to worry about pitch/speed control.

There are blue camps at both locations, so whether you belong in the most basic camp or a step up is probably worth a call or email to Dumont to get a better recommendation.

Todd W., Jim and I all did camps at Solvista and preferred that as the place to really focus on technique. Even after camp ends each day, the slopes aremostly Campers practicing. You ride up the lift and can pinpoint them and admire the changes in their skiing after a day or two.

However, party town, it ain"t! 8)

Lynn
midwif

Postby geoffda » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:43 am

It's more about terrain comfort than anything else. Arapahoe Basin is a great place for working on your skiing, but you'll be doing it on solid blue runs there. Even Sundance (which is green) requires negotiating a steeper final pitch which is more blue than green. If you are completely comfortable on Western blues, understanding that will be the pitch that you will be learning new movements (which will definitely make you uncomfortable in the mental sense), the blue/dark blue at A-Basin would be an appropriate choice.

If you are more of a timid skier, less experienced (novice or low intermediate) or perhaps are a more experienced skier that would just prefer to have more gentle terrain options with which to learn new movements then green/blue at Solvista would be a better option.

Just be honest with yourself about the level of terrain where you will learn best and don't worry about being too good or not good enough for the camp you sign up for. PMTS instructors can accomodate a wide range of abilities in a single group and deliver meaningful instruction to everyone. Regardless of ability, everyone is still working on refining the same movements.

All that really matters is that you get yourself to camp. You won't regret it and it will change your skiing forever.
geoffda

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 pm

However, party town, it ain"t!

Chicks dig guys that can ski, so party towns won't help you, until you get it right at Sol Vista first, then you can party at a big ski resort, with authority.
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System