Which Camp to Attend, given skiing ability?

PMTS Forum

Which Camp to Attend, given skiing ability?

Postby Sailor » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:34 am

I am a low intermediate skier who typically divides my time between green and blue runs here in the East. I've been skiing sporadically since I was a kid, but never enough, of course. Now, in my mid-fifties, I'm much more nervous about going too fast. I've also read the PMTS books and practiced when I could. So, given these parameters, I'm wondering which PMTS camp I should consider attending. I worry that the Green/Blue camp would be too elementary, but the Blue camp too difficult. Suggestions appreciated.

In fact, I wonder if it would make sense if Harald's web site had some more detailed suggestions on the skiing level/ability appropriate for each camp.
Sailor

Re: Which Camp to Attend, given skiing ability?

Postby geoffda » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:03 am

My guess is that you couldn't go too wrong with either camp. The nice thing about PMTS group lessons is that they are really private lessons split out among the individuals in the groups. Group splits at camp are generally made more with an eye for speed and terrain comfort than skill. As long as everyone in the group can go the same places and stay together, there can be a fairly large range of skill in the group without affecting the ability of everyone to get a great lesson.

I would say that based on your description of being a low intermediate, you should consider attending one of the Sol Vista camps. My understanding is that the terrain at Sol Vista is perfect for learning PMTS. There is an abundance of mellow terrain and there are very few people midweek, so you don't have to worry about getting run over when you are doing drills. With that in mind, hopefully some others can help you narrow down which camp would be best.
geoffda

Postby ToddW » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Sailor wrote: Now, in my mid-fifties, I'm much more nervous about going too fast.

Mid-50's puts you in the demographic majority for the SolVista camps. The first step in breaking into groups at the 3 PMTS camps I've attended was self-selecting into faster skiers and more cautious skiers. It's always about a 50-50 split.
Sailor wrote:I worry that the Green/Blue camp would be too elementary, but the Blue camp too difficult.

SolVista has a neat property. It's really two hills. The main one is gentle and meticulously groomed. It's great for learning. The West hill has a bit of pitch to it. The top one or two groups at a SolVista blue/dk blue camp are likely to spend time on both hills. That's the main difference. All camps teach the same basic PMTS skiing; they just make use of different terrain to do so. Like you, I was unsure which camp to go to the first time. I went to the SolVista blue/dk blue and had a great time. I'm sure that if I'd gone to the green/blue I would have also learned a lot. One advantage of attending the blue/dk blue for my first camp is that I pushed myself a bit harder.

-Todd

PS for anyone out there who uses speed and momentum as a crutch to initiate turns, a SolVista camp is a great way to develop a more balanced, bullet-proof turn. The terrain gives you less opportunity to "cheat" than at an A-basin camp.
ToddW

Postby Hacski » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:25 pm

Sailor, your situation pretty well aligns with mine, if you will pardon the pun. Check out my post in Harald's thread about the Green/Blue camp just held.
Hacski

Postby Sailor » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:03 am

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement. In fact, I skied a few days at SolVista a couple of years ago on a family trip out west - I liked it! Hacski, I read your post - great pictures. I hope you get the chance to post a more detailed review.
Sailor

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System